On 12/03/2012 02:31 PM, Baho Utot wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 02:49 AM, Armin K. wrote:
>
> [putolin]
>
>> There is seperate applet for that. I wouldn't recommend downgrading
>> networkmanager.
>
> Are you talking about wicd?

No, it is just another applet, but works with network manager 0.9.x

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/networkmanagement/0.9.0.5/src/

I think that instructions on "Further KDE Packages" should do the trick.

>>> KDM crashes and this is my concern.  Currently I am starting KDE from a
>>> user login followed the book on setting up .xinitrc
>>> and then doing a startx, which works well.  Trying to start KDM from
>>> root login on tty1 it tries to start as the screen flashes like xorg is
>>> starting but then something goes south.  I don't have strace built just
>>> yet so I could not attempt that.
>>>
>>> Before I get down and dirty looking into KDM crashing does any one have
>>> any pointers or easy things to check?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> Do you have PAM installed?
>
> No I don't do pam

I have PAM installed and it needs 2 config files. I guess it isn't case
for you.

I also have /var/log/kdm.log, but it does not contain anything useful.

I looked at Archlinux pkgbuild and install files and KDM seems to
require seperate user, just like GDM.

This did the trick for me

groupadd -g 37 kdm
useradd  -u 37 -g kdm -d /var/lib/kdm -s /bin/false kdm

install -d -o kdm -g kdm /var/lib/kdm

I have this in my post install script (not any package manager, just
plain cp -r and such).

If this doesn't solve problem for you, then you can hope that Ragnar
will show up and try to help you because he wrote KDE instructions and
maintains them in BLFS. I installed mine differently, ie everything into
/usr, no env vars, no /etc/kde sysconf dir and such ...