On Monday 03 December 2012 15:21:20 Baho Utot wrote:
> I have found out that KDM does indeed need its own usr/group.
> I now have kdm working as I can now login and boot the machine to run
> level 5 from inittab and it works.

I don't have a separate user/group for KDM, and it's working fine.

> I have a Console kit error dialog on login saying Warning: Cannot open
> ConsoleKit session: Unable to execute program
> /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success
>
> This I have traced to dbus not started, but I have dbus starting run the
> init scripts at boot through the blfs-bootscripts.
>
> Also in the kdm log it has klauncher kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found.
> Check if you have started the DBUS server.
>
> I know that dbus is indeed started but how does one check to see if a
> dbus session exists?
>
> This is what I think this problem resolves to.
> If anyone has a link to all this dbus stuff I would like to get that so
> I can read up on dbus.

KDM starts a consolekit session automatically, if consolekit was installed
when building kde-workspace. I think your error is related to d-bus. The d-bus
sytem-wide bus should be started in your bootscripts and will be running as
user messagebus. The d-bus session bus can be start in various ways and will
be running as the logged in user. I use a method derived from this link for
starting the session bus:
http://www.howtoforge.com/dbus_kde_integration
which I found works well and results in a single d-bus session process.

Basically, kdm launches this script when starting a session:
$KDE_PREFIX/share/config/kdm/Xstartup

And this script when stopping a session:
$KDE_PREFIX/share/config/kdm/Xreset

So these can be used to start/stop d-bus.

> Also I heard but have not been able to confirm that ConsoleKit is not
> required anymore as PolicyKit has all the ConsoleKit stuff.  Can anyone
> confirm this?

As Armin stated, if you do not use systemd, you need consolekit for kde.

-Ragnar-