On 12/03/2012 10:42 AM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 12/03/2012 02:31 PM, Baho Utot wrote:

[putolin]

>> Are you talking about wicd?
>>
> No, it is just another applet, but works with network manager 0.9.x
>
> ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/networkmanagement/0.9.0.5/src/
>
> I think that instructions on "Further KDE Packages" should do the trick.

Ok I will have a look there

> I also have /var/log/kdm.log, but it does not contain anything useful.
> I looked at Archlinux pkgbuild and install files and KDM seems to
> require seperate user, just like GDM. This did the trick for me
> groupadd -g 37 kdm useradd -u 37 -g kdm -d /var/lib/kdm -s /bin/false
> kdm install -d -o kdm -g kdm /var/lib/kdm I have this in my post
> install script (not any package manager, just plain cp -r and such).
> If this doesn't solve problem for you, then you can hope that Ragnar
> will show up and try to help you because he wrote KDE instructions and
> maintains them in BLFS. I installed mine differently, ie everything
> into /usr, no env vars, no /etc/kde sysconf dir and such ...

I did also have kde installed to /usr.  I have used prefix=/usr for all
packages.

I have found out that KDM does indeed need its own usr/group.
I now have kdm working as I can now login and boot the machine to run
level 5 from inittab and it works.

I have a Console kit error dialog on login saying Warning: Cannot open
ConsoleKit session: Unable to execute program
/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success

This I have traced to dbus not started, but I have dbus starting run the
init scripts at boot through the blfs-bootscripts.

Also in the kdm log it has klauncher kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found.
Check if you have started the DBUS server.

I know that dbus is indeed started but how does one check to see if a
dbus session exists?

This is what I think this problem resolves to.
If anyone has a link to all this dbus stuff I would like to get that so
I can read up on dbus.

Also I heard but have not been able to confirm that ConsoleKit is not
required anymore as PolicyKit has all the ConsoleKit stuff.  Can anyone
confirm this?