Ken Moffat wrote:

>   There is also a deeper difference - jhalfs was originally a tool for
> builders.  As an editor, my preference is to look at a new package
> version on a completed system [ normally, just a DESTDIR ], see what
> options I want to use [ e.g. omit static libs even in LFS, unless they
> turn out to be required somewhere ].  Only once I'm happy that the
> resulting _system_ is ok will I think about editing the XML.  And on
> a desktop, the resulting system is normally my full normal desktop,
> so that I can pick up knock-on effects in later packages.

Of course I do the individual check too, but I also need to build the
whole system, in order, as a sanity check to make sure the system can be
built according to the book as written.  I also need to check that the
packages build in the chroot environment in the book order.  This was
especially important when we added util-linux to Chapter 5.