On Tue, Dec 06, 2016 at 09:24:50PM +0000, akhiezer wrote:

> To reiterate in summary, addressing much of your words:
> --
> * the central point is about managing the book information, incl
>   release engineering.

At the moment, this is a proposed change.  If my fellow editors
agree, something based on it will go into the development book.  If
there are then problems, it can be altered or reverted.

> * it's better to do the phase-out as the two-stage process than the
>   one-stage; that includes educational value.

Says you.

> --
> It seems that maybe you are a bit too close to the fine-details of the
> subject matter to see the wider-picture trees.

That I will accept - those of us who are editing the book have
visions of where certain things can be improved.

> > > The legacy page should at this time include all of the fonts/&c that
> > > you've removed from elsewhere.
> > >

> > On this, I disagree strongly.  We've carried multiple versions of
> > some of the old fonts (bitmap, Type1, ttf) for too long.  Meanwhile
> > current distros use TTF/OTF and even our own xterm page is already
> > set to do that.
> >
> > BLFS, like LFS, is about learning AND about building leading-edge
> > software.
> >
> > > And only after a few more book releases, then remove some/all of the
> > > items from the book
> > >
> > > That's a standard way of 'putting out to pasture' - phasing out - such
> > > materials: don't just - for such a case - do the reorganise and remove
> > > in same step.
> > >

> > IFF somebody wants them, I provided links to the relevant page in
> > the two 7.10 books.  But nobody really documented what those bitmap
> > fonts were good for.  Initially they were part of monolithic X.
> > So I have no idea *why* anybody might want them.  Do you have a
> > use-case ?
> >
> > > It's ok though to prioritise at this time the focus on the
> > > libXfont/bdftopcf/font-adobe-100dpi  .

> > > 'originally' implies that it now doesn't: does it still; if so then
> > > reword.
> > >
> > I can change originally to 'at first only'.
>

> The 'at first only' is better.
>

> >  Does that help you ?
>

> ("Now, now"). It helps the book and readers of the book.

So far, _you_ are the only person complaining about the wording, so
I was asking if it helped you.

> > > Those last two sentences - and in partic the last - are a bit too vague
> > > and ~hand-waving; and leave readers a bit too much in the dark.
> > >

> > Beyond the two packages from the book which I mention below, I have
> > no idea what strange desktop packages might still need bitmap fonts.
> > Possibly, somebody wrote an application years ago, abandonned it, and
> > somebody else is still using it.  In an infinite universe, anything
> > is possible.
> >
> > I know of the two packages in the book, I also recall that when I
> > first started looking at console fonts (probably in 2006 or 2007) I
> > initially started from a bdf source file, but I do not recall
> > whether it actually used bdftopcf, only that at the time somebody
> > used my variant to create a bitmapped psf and raised a bug.  Also,
> > the default Makefile of Terminus uses bdftopcf to create bitmap
> > fonts and some format for (I think) a BSD.
> >
> > > At least, for those packages (if any) that are in BLFS and that
> > > are _known_ or _thought_ to still require the now-legacy materials,
> > > they should be listed and linked-to explicitly: if there are only a
> > > few such packages (e.g. tigervnc &c) then it's not a hassle to list;
> > > if the list were not short, then it'd call into question doing the
> > > 'legacy' stuff yet.
> > >
> > They are linked *from* (tigervnc, xscreensaver).  As in the rest of
> > the book, we expect you to know what you want to build, and then
> > determin e the depen den cies and come up with a build order.  So
> > for everything else people who do that can build Xorg without t he
> > Xorg Legacy packages.
> > >

> > > s/and also/including/
> > >
> > > or maybe even (less good)
> > >
> > > s/and also/plus/
> > >
> > >  - but _NOT_ 'and also'; red pen.
> > >

> > Sorry, if you apply a red pen I'm inclined to screw up the paper and
> > put it in the bin ;-)
>

> Still wrong, though.
>
> (But do go ahead and screw/toss your materials if you prefer.)

I didn't say I was going to toss out what I'd prepared - only the
piece of paper where you thought you had the right to mark the
grammar.

> > In the country where I live, this is perfectly
> > acceptable in most written English
>

> It's still known-bad use of English.

Ooh.  I will now assert that English is a *living* language, and
asserting that there is one good form for all situations (and
therefore others can be known-bad) is false.

> > (and as a nation we now denigrate
> > experts).
>

> ( - 'meeja'-speak. No you don't.)

As a nation, we do.  I might not like that, but the voters have
spoken.

> > I can change it to 'installed, also'.
>

> That'd be even worse use of English.
>
> The 'including' is better sense, given what the two sentences of the
> para are saying.

> > > Still too vague: you're leaving readers to hunt'n'peck, while you
> > > know what they're likely to be looking for.
> >
> > No, I *don't* know why anybody would want to use any of the other
> > bitmap fonts.
> >
> > > Again: for packages in
> > > BLFS that are known/thought to still require the legacy materials,
> > > state the details explicitly. As noted, such materials should anyhow
> > > be listed in legacy page.
> > >

> > Again, I disagree strongly.  The adobe fonts (which I listed on the
> > page) seem to be all that is necessary.  If you read a non-latin
> > writing system then they might be inadequate - I would not know, and
> > I assume that people building a BLFS desktop for such users will be
> > using TTF or OTF fonts.

> > > Ditto.
> > >
> > Only one of those paragraphs will apply in a particular book, so
> > obviously your comment has to apply to both of them.
>

>  - just some extra clarification & aide-memoire place-marker, erring
> on the safe side: e.g. it's presumably also "obvious" to you that if
> you remove a font entry from one list, then you'd remove it from the
> essentially same-list/same-context elsewhere; but not everyone would
> always _do_ such an "obvious" thing; and an aide-memoire place-marker
> clarificatory check-item can help avoid such omissions.

Of course.  And unlike you, I make a lot of mistakes - even while
developing the book.  I am once again doubtful about using my time
to reply to you.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods