Ken Moffat wrote:
tldr; : I think we can happily drop qtwebkit and kdewebkit - but I
have not built kdenlive, libkcddb, k3b (I have no use for them).
Plasma does work, and in some ways is less annoying than it used to
be.  But the default 'fade the windows' and 'maximise when at top
edge' are still annoying and I can't imagine I will ever willingly
use it as a normal desktop.

Background / why
----------------

I noticed that qtwebkit is stuck at 5.9.0.  A bit of searching
suggests that development has stopped, links to packages using it
are either defunct or incorrect (QupZilla was mentioned, but that
now uses QtWebEngine).  I found somebody claiming to be working on
it nearly a year ago, but nothing since then.

And I can remember that from time to time one of the (gnome/fedora)
devs has complained about the number of vulnerabilities in old
versions of webkit, with particular mention of qtwebkit.

So I thought I would try doing without it.  Clearly, if this was
going to succeed I would have to do without kdewebkit which is the
kde interface to qtwebkit.

Looking further, I saw old reports that packages using qtwebkit used
phonon, which again seems to be either moribund or perhaps
'completed'.  So I started by also commenting that out.

kdekebkit is a part of the kf5 libraries. We've been building all the packages in kf5 from the beginning. Actually it is very small. It only has 19 files (5 cpp and 6 h files). It is essentially a wrapper around
QtWebKit.  I do not know of anything that uses it.

I can find no reference to 'qtweb' in my kf5 log.

I do build all the kde apps in the book, but generally only use konsole and okular regularly. At one time I fantasized about making a youtube video about LFS using kdenlive. I never seem to find sufficient time though. I do like k3b for ripping CDs, but don't do that much any more.

In any case, I'm OK with dropping qtwebkit, I can also live with dropping qtwebengine and qupzilla. We have five other graphical browsers and three text browsers.

That said, my initial reaction is to put all of these in the 8.2 release and do it soon after when we have six months to sort any issues that may arise.

  -- Bruce