On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 4:53:31 PM rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 04/03/14 16:14, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 09:21:34AM -0500, rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> This is a stretch, but I should mention I compiled BLFS/X with an older
> >> kernel than I used in compiling LFS.  I found I booted to a blank screen
> >> after compiling LFS with the 3.13.13 kernel so I reverted to my LFS/BLFS
> >> 3.10.10 kernel.  I did post the problem to LFS support "Blank screen
> >> when booting with 3.13.3 kernel. - LFS 7.5" but didn't get a resolution
> >> and wasn't told I couldn't use an older kernel.  It was a surprise to me
> >> I could revert to an older kernel.  I specifically asked the question in
> >> my post.  I will re-compile LFS with the 3.10.10 kernel if suggested.
> >>
> >   I thought you did get a reply to that point, but it looks as if I'm
> >
> > confusing it with a different thread and perhaps that was on
> > lfs-support.  Short answer : as long as the kernel version is at least
> > what you used for --enable-kernel= when compiling glibc everything
> > should continue to work.
> >
> >   I say "should" because you have already discovered that things
> >
> > sometimes break with newer releases, and equally newer releases
> > contain fixes for older versions.  In awkward areas (I'm guessing
> > you have an intel video controller), fixes for some machines can
> > break other machines.  By the same token, an up-to-date kernel
> > release might have already fixed the problem.  But getting a working
> > term in X is obviously more important.
> >
> >> I should also mention I've continued past my basic X installation and
> >> have no problems other than xterm.  I can run X, connect to the
> >> internet, and run all programs I ran with BLFS 7.4 without incident.
> >>
> >   My evil twin suggests that you build a better terminal (urxvt), but
> >
> > that would be working around the problem even if it did work for
> > you.  And to be honest I'm not at all convinced it will help, and it
> > would definitely need to be configured [ in .XResources or wherever,
> > and ensure that gets pulled in with "xrdb -merge /path/to/resources]
> > so there would be more things which could go wrong.
> >
> >   Apart from what Bruce has suggested, compare _all_ the bash files
> >
> > in your 7.5 and 7.4 builds.  Is /home shared by the two builds ?  If
> > it isn't, also compare the bash files for your regular user account.
> >
> > ĸen
>
> Yes, I did get some good replies to my blank screen post.  I meant that
> I didn't see a solution to the problem and everyone seemed OK with my
> using an older kernel.
>
> I should have mentioned that prior to posting my xterm problem I did
> compile rxvt with the same thought.  Unfortunately, I still had a wrong
> prompt and couldn't source scripts.

I have read through these threads, and am wondering if you actually are using
 bash as your default shell?

In the shell's section there is DASH which has the prompt of
sh-4.2# when I typed sh from my root terminal.

This is the 7.5 version of the BLFS book on shell's I am talking about.

In that section you have the option of replacing root's shell with dash by a
symlink.

I would try recompiling bash from source and see if that fixes the issue that
your having.

I would even go so far as to delete the .bash files from your system (after
backing them up) just in-case there is some weirdness there.

Regards,

Christopher.