rhubarbpie...@gmail.com wrote:

> I echoed the file names as you suggested and prior to invoking X the
> order is:
>
> /etc/profile
> .bash_profile
> .bashrc
> /etc/bashrc

That is correct.

> However, I saw nothing when starting X.

That's wrong.

So I redirected the output to a
> file.  Prior to starting X I see the above.  I then nuked the output
> file and started X but nothing wrote to the file.  I attempted the same
> with BLFS 7.4 and my output after starting X is:
>
> .bashrc
> /etc/bashrc

That's what you should see in 7.5 also.

> Yes, 'type source' produces "source is a shell builtin" from my BLFS 7.5
> command prompt and xterm window.

OK.

I don't recall if you are using ?dm or using startx.  I assume right now
it's startx.  What are the contents of ~/.xinitrc.  This is starting to
point to a possible xterm issue.  If you are not doing so right now,
please use twm for testing.

   -- Bruce