Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM
From: "Edgar Alwers" <edgaralw...@gmx.de>
To: blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Plasma starts with black screen

Am 16.09.2016 um 11:00 schrieb Cliff McDiarmid:
Thanks for that Ken, will try it, but me thinks it goes a bit deeper.
I have built now two times Framework and Plasma, with the results that
after the initial starting procedure a black plasma screen shows up,
with a functioning cursor, and nothing more happens. There are several
similar cases mentioned in Google, with some hints like to cancel
~/.config and ~.cache, evtl also .kde and .local. None of this recepts
helped. Also not the one mentioned by Ken, to change in kwinrc
Enabled=true to false.

Tried this but not the answer.  For Intel cards only?

Works OK with Nvidia.

Try creating a new user where the only file in the home directory is .xinitrc. That should rule out issues with earlier versions of kde or plasma attempts.

I gave it up, to try to start plasma ( the building process went without
problems ). But I think, I can leave without it: I built the Xfce
Desktop and Xfce is working smooth and without problems, is fast and
uses not much resurces. I can recommend this solution.

My preferred DE is xfce. However I do like some kf5 based apps. They work fine.

At least according to my experiences, Plasma ist not yet ready for non
distributors. KDE-Framework works with Xfce, Many utilities have not yet
been ported ( e.g. KMyMoney, Digikam are on the way but not ready, kuser
has not been ported etc.)

This is true. I just re-added k3b to the -dev book, but I had to go to the git version to get it to work.

  -- Bruce