Many years ago I developed a gas leak and called a service man because I had 
no experience in that area.  He disconnected the gas meter and pressurized 
the line from a tank of Freon, the same kind used in air conditioners.  He 
then used a Freon leak detector to find the leak.  I think Freon is too 
expensive now to be used in that way.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O D S.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Transistor site http://www.funwithtransistors.net
Vacuum tube site: http://www.funwithtubes.net
Music site: http://www.maxsmusicplace.com

To subscribe to the fun with tubes group send an email to,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "lenny McHugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?


> Using a flame is a very old way of testing. A pipe fitter friend told me
> after installing my gas lines that if there is a leak It would only flare 
> up
> at that point. Since there is only about 3 pounds of pressure there is not
> enough gas to cause a problem. Since then they use a vacuum test for new
> installs prior to charging the line. A vacuum must be held for 24 hours. 
> If
> it fails there is a leak in the line. When he added on to the line, a few
> years later, for my dryer, he used an electronic sniffer to test for a 
> leak.
> He still prefers the Zippo lighter method but it upsets too many people. 
> My
> wife was one of these.
> Now if he went into a place and smelled gas he would first turn it off at
> the meter ventilate the area then charge the line and use the sniffer. In
> this scenario there would be a substantial gas build up.
> The flame would cause the problem that he described as two guys passing a
> few hundred feet in the air. The one yelled do you know anything about
> parachutes and the other yelled no! do you know anything about gas grills.
> Lenny, Please visit my home page http://www.geocities.com/lenny_mchugh/
> It is motivational, educational, humorous and has a lot of resources.
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Cy Selfridge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[email protected]>
> Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:59 PM
> Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?
>
>
> David,
> Now, I know you are going to think that I am a liar - but - one of the 
> local
> plumbers tests for leaks by lighting a rolled newspaper and passes it 
> around
> the new connection. The first time I saw him do this I was headed for some
> other place to be!
> I suppose that so long as there was not a build up of gas this is probably
> safe but, no thanks folks.
> The soap you spoke of is something like Dawn dishwashing soap. It will do 
> a
> great job of bubbling up if there is a leak.
> Cy, the Ancient Okie....
>
>   _____
>
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of David Ferrin
> Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:12 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?
>
>
>
> How do you test for a gas leak my friend? I've watch plumbers rub soap on
> the connections and look for bubbles.
> David Ferrin
> www.jaws-users.-com
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "martin webster" <HYPERLINK
> "mailto:webstermartin%40yahoo.com"[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <HYPERLINK
> "mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com"[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:59 AM
> Subject: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?
>
>> Hi,
>> I think the answer to this question is yes and know. Plumbers work on
>> many different
>> sites and in many different locations in one week, and this you would 
>> have
>
>> a problem
>> with as a totally blind individual. I do much work for family and good
>> friends, and the kind of work I do is plumb
>> in washing machines, dish washers, move radiators, move sinks, install
>> outside taps,
>> and much more. You could certainly learn to master many of the techniques
>> involved
>> in plumbing even soldering won't be a problem if you feel you can cope
>> with it.
>> There are different levels of training for this profession and not all
>> plumbers take
>> them all, for instance if you want to train to install and maintain gas
>> appliances
>> such as fires, boilers, kilns and spa systems, then that's a different
>> level of
>> training again. I do all the maintance myself On my own combination
>> theating and
>> hot water system, and then pay to have it gas tested after woulds. I all
>> so have a carbonmonoxcide detector installed near the appliance. Safety
>> is Paramount when dealing with gas. I have never
>> had a problem though working in this way, and feel totally comfortable
>> doing this type of
>> work as a totally blind man. Again, with soldering I have know problems,
>> I use a
>> T500 turbo torch which burns butane, propane, or mapp gas depending on
>> what I'm doing.
>> Just use really good turbo mats and I mean really good ones and you will
>> be fine. All so remember to totally purge any gas pipe work that you are
>> about to solder, I kid you not.
>> Again I feel very comfortable with this kind of work and tooling, and I
>> cannot stress this
>> enough. If your not comfortable with any of this forget the whole thing.
>> I do own a water filled manometer, which my sighted girl friend reads to
>> me, and this I use for checking gas pressures. The talking multimeter
>> from
>> Germany
>> can check pressures, but I don't know how useful it would be for this 
>> type
>
>> of work.
>> I've never examined one so I couldn't say. So to sum all this up, you
>> could learn to do the work in an environment you new, and to a very high
>> standard too, but I think not in the real world. Hope this helps a
>> little.
>> Regards.
>> Martin Webster.
>> From the UK.
>>
>>
>>
>> ____________-_________-_________-_________-_________-_________-_
>> Be a better friend, newshound, and
>> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
>> HYPERLINK
> "http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ"http://mobile.-y
> ahoo.com/-;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR-8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA-cJ
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>>
>> To listen to the show archives go to link
>> HYPERLINK
> "http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_
> page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29"http://www.acbradio-.org/pweb/-index.php?
> -module=pagemaste-r&PAGE_user_-op=view_page&-PAGE_id=33&-MMN_position=-47:29
>> Or
>> HYPERLINK
> "ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/"ftp://ftp.acbradio.-org/
> acbradio--archives/-handyman/
>>
>> The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
>> HYPERLINK
> "http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday"http://www.acbrad
> io-.org/news/-xml/podcast.-php?pgm=saturday
>>
>> Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
>> List Members At The Following address:
>> HYPERLINK
> "http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/"http://www.jaws--users.com/-JAWS/h
> andyman/
>>
>> Visit the archives page at the following address
>> HYPERLINK
> "http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/"http://www.mail-
> -archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
>>
>> If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following
>> address for more information:
>> HYPERLINK "http://www.jaws-users.com/"http://www.jaws--users.com/
>> For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man
>> list just send a blank message to:
>> HYPERLINK
> "mailto:blindhandyman-help%40yahoogroups.comYahoo"[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> roups-.comYahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.4 - Release Date: 4/23/2008 
> 12:00
> AM
>
>
>
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.4 - Release Date: 4/23/2008 
> 12:00
> AM
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To listen to the show archives go to link
> http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
> Or
> ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/
>
> The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
> http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday
>
> Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
> List Members At The Following address:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/
>
> Visit the archives page at the following address
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
>
> If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following
> address for more information:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/
> For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man 
> list
> just send a blank message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Groups Links
>
>
>
>
> __________ NOD32 3057 (20080426) Information __________
>
> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To listen to the show archives go to link
> http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
> Or
> ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/
>
> The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
> http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday
>
> Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various 
> List Members At The Following address:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/
>
> Visit the archives page at the following address
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
>
> If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following 
> address for more information:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/
> For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man 
> list just send a blank message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1399 - Release Date: 4/26/2008 
> 2:17 PM
> 

Reply via email to