Subject line needs to be updated
moderator
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "martin webster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?



Hi,
We're not talking about out on the street here we're talking about in your 
home.  You can buy specialized gas pipe, but nobody ever does, and you are 
not enforced to use it with in your own home, however plastic and push 
joints are forbidden.  You can't emagine soldering gas pipe, well what about 
when it was all lead then.  As explained in a previous posting you must 
perge the line your working on, and that's why you go for specialist 
training for this type of work.  If you perge the gas line you will be 
absolutely fine soldering it.
Martin Webster.
>From the UK.

--- On Sun, 4/27/08, Shane Hecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Shane Hecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?
To: [email protected]
Date: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 5:15 AM











            Which is why black pipe is a good idea. I don't know if you can 
get away with plastic. I can't imagine that working too well as it would 
melt in a fire. Now what I can't figure out is why plumbers in this area use 
galvanized pipe for gas. It is my understanding that the gas will eat the 
galvanizing away, create an acid in the process, and corrode the pipe. Not 
to mention it will send particles down stream and clog up appliances and 
whatever else is connected to the line. And don't plumbers look at the line 
and assume galvanized line is for water/air? If that's the case, they could 
be in for a trip to the moon, along with the city block they are in.



Shane



----- Original Message ----- 

  From: RJ

  To: blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. com

  Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:40 PM

  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?



It doesn't

  ----- Original Message ----- 

  From: NLG

  To: blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. com

  Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 18:23

  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?



Where do you live?



I ask because here in the United States, I can't believe that soldering 
"any" gas line would pass code.



----- Original Message ----- 

  From: martin webster

  To: blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. com

  Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 15:52

  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?



Hi,

  The most accurate way of testing for leaks is with a water or digital 
manometer. At the gas meter and within a gas appliance there are small brass 
plugs which you use for perging the pipe work and appliance of gas. These 
are all so used to run pressure tests. you would undo one of these and 
attach your manometer and repressurize the line. Once the line or appliance 
is at it's required working pressure, *usually milly bars) you would then 
shut off the gas and watch for pressure drop. if there is a leak even a 
minnute leak, you will see the water drop down the scale on the manometer. 
My sighted girl friend checks the manometer for me. There are all so really 
good gas leak testers which are hand held and audible, and there's all so 
your nose. I have both manometer and gas leak tester which I can use to go 
round any joins I have soldered. Of course I have a nose too, but the 
manometer and tester are much more accurate, the tester being able to

  detect as litttle as 30 parts gas per one million parts of air which is 
the industry standard, the tester is of course variable and the manometer 
being able to measure pressure in milly bars, so both pieces of iquipment 
used in conjunction with one another is the way a gas fitter would do this. 
The manometer for testing a whole line or appliance, and the tester for 
finding any leaks. Tip, when replacing the brass test plugs use a little gas 
ceal. This is like a grease which gas fitters use, and it's all so good for 
insuring a good ceal on the rubber hose that attaches the manometer to the 
line you are testing. The test that Cy speaks about is known as the old 
match test and indeed is a reliable way of testing for small leaks, the 
danger with this test is you may get a build up of gas, and you can have a 
flash I do know of people who still use it though. The flash point for gas 
or a build up of gas in any given size room is five percent. Hope this

  helps.

  Martin Webster.

  >From the UK.



--- On Sat, 4/26/08, Cy Selfridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED] l.net> wrote:

  From: Cy Selfridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED] l.net>

  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?

  To: blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. com

  Date: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 6:59 PM



David,



Now, I know you are going to think that I am a liar - but - one of the local



plumbers tests for leaks by lighting a rolled newspaper and passes it around



the new connection. The first time I saw him do this I was headed for some



other place to be!



I suppose that so long as there was not a build up of gas this is probably



safe but, no thanks folks.



The soap you spoke of is something like Dawn dishwashing soap. It will do a



great job of bubbling up if there is a leak.



Cy, the Ancient Okie....



_____



From: blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:blindhandym an@ yahoogroups. 
com]



On Behalf Of David Ferrin



Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:12 AM



To: blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. com



Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?



How do you test for a gas leak my friend? I've watch plumbers rub soap on



the connections and look for bubbles.



David Ferrin



www.jaws-users. -com



----- Original Message ----- 



From: "martin webster" <HYPERLINK



"mailto:webstermart in%40yahoo. com"webstermarti [EMAIL PROTECTED] com>



To: <HYPERLINK



"mailto:blindhandym an%40yahoogroups .com"blindhandym [EMAIL PROTECTED] -com>



Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:59 AM



Subject: [BlindHandyMan] do you really want to be a plumber?



> Hi,



> I think the answer to this question is yes and know. Plumbers work on



> many different



> sites and in many different locations in one week, and this you would have



> a problem



> with as a totally blind individual. I do much work for family and good



> friends, and the kind of work I do is plumb



> in washing machines, dish washers, move radiators, move sinks, install



> outside taps,



> and much more. You could certainly learn to master many of the techniques



> involved



> in plumbing even soldering won't be a problem if you feel you can cope



> with it.



> There are different levels of training for this profession and not all



> plumbers take



> them all, for instance if you want to train to install and maintain gas



> appliances



> such as fires, boilers, kilns and spa systems, then that's a different



> level of



> training again. I do all the maintance myself On my own combination



> theating and



> hot water system, and then pay to have it gas tested after woulds. I all



> so have a carbonmonoxcide detector installed near the appliance. Safety



> is Paramount when dealing with gas. I have never



> had a problem though working in this way, and feel totally comfortable



> doing this type of



> work as a totally blind man. Again, with soldering I have know problems,



> I use a



> T500 turbo torch which burns butane, propane, or mapp gas depending on



> what I'm doing.



> Just use really good turbo mats and I mean really good ones and you will



> be fine. All so remember to totally purge any gas pipe work that you are



> about to solder, I kid you not.



> Again I feel very comfortable with this kind of work and tooling, and I



> cannot stress this



> enough. If your not comfortable with any of this forget the whole thing.



> I do own a water filled manometer, which my sighted girl friend reads to



> me, and this I use for checking gas pressures. The talking multimeter



> from



> Germany



> can check pressures, but I don't know how useful it would be for this type



> of work.



> I've never examined one so I couldn't say. So to sum all this up, you



> could learn to do the work in an environment you new, and to a very high



> standard too, but I think not in the real world. Hope this helps a



> little.



> Regards.



> Martin Webster.



> From the UK.



>



>



>



> ____________ -________ _-_______ __-______ ___-_____ ____-____ _____-_



> Be a better friend, newshound, and



> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.



> HYPERLINK



"http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA 
cJ"http://mobile. -y



ahoo.com/-;_ ylt=Ahu06i62sR- 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA -cJ



>



> ------------ --------- --------- ---------



>



> To listen to the show archives go to link



> HYPERLINK



"http://www.acbradio .org/pweb/ index.php? module=pagemaste r&PAGE_user_ 
op=view_



page&PAGE_id= 33&MMN_position= 
47:29"http://www.acbradio -.org/pweb/ -index.php?



-module=pagemaste- r&PAGE_user_ -op=view_ page&-PAGE_ id=33&-MMN_ 
position= -47:29



> Or



> HYPERLINK



"ftp://ftp.acbradio. org/acbradio- archives/ 
handyman/"ftp://ftp.acbradio. -org/



acbradio--archives/ -handyman/



>



> The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.



> HYPERLINK



"http://www.acbradio .org/news/ xml/podcast. 
php?pgm=saturday"http://www.acbrad



io-.org/news/ -xml/podcast. -php?pgm= saturday



>



> Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various



> List Members At The Following address:



> HYPERLINK



"http://www.jaws- users.com/ JAWS/handyman/ 
"http://www.jaws- -users.com/ -JAWS/h



andyman/



>



> Visit the archives page at the following address



> HYPERLINK



"http://www.mail- archive.com/ blindhandyman@ yahoogroups. 
com/"http://www.mail-



-archive.com/ -blindhandyman@ -yahoogroups. -com/



>



> If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following



> address for more information:



> HYPERLINK "http://www.jaws- users.com/"http://www.jaws- -users.com/



> For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man



> list just send a blank message to:



> HYPERLINK



"mailto:blindhandym an-help%40yahoog roups.comYahoo" 
blindhandyman- [EMAIL PROTECTED]



roups-.comYahoo! Groups Links



>



>



>



>



No virus found in this incoming message.



Checked by AVG.



Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.4 - Release Date: 4/23/2008 12:00



AM



No virus found in this outgoing message.



Checked by AVG.



Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.4 - Release Date: 4/23/2008 12:00



AM



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

  Be a better friend, newshound, and

  know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ 
;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -



No virus found in this incoming message.

  Checked by AVG.

  Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1399 - Release Date: 4/26/2008 
2:17 PM



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



























      
____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now. 
http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

------------------------------------

To listen to the show archives go to link
http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
Or
ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various 
List Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/

Visit the archives page at the following address
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following 
address for more information:
http://www.jaws-users.com/
For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list 
just send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Groups Links




__________ NOD32 3057 (20080426) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com


Reply via email to