Which proves my point, wait untill spring.

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of john schwery
Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 5:14 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Fwd: Speaking of icicles!!

Dan, here is an article from a Burgh paper. My
wife is from the Burgh and gets articles like this.

text of forwarded message follows:

>Don't flip, homeowners, just let the water drip
>Friday, February 19, 2010
>Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
>
>When water is dripping down your walls and
>pooling on the floor, you don't want to hear someone say: "Do nothing."
>
>Yet, that's probably the best advice roofers and
>insurance agents have for the thousands of
>homeowners affected this week by ice dams.
>
>If you are one of them, your best hope for
>relief is that temperatures go up or down -- soon.
>
>"Every house has tons of icicles hanging from
>gutters. It's very picturesque but it's bad news
>for homeowners and for us," said David Thomas of
>Thomas & McMenamin, an Upper St. Clair insurance agency.
>
>Mr. Thomas, a part owner, has heard from nearly
>two dozen homeowners complaining of interior
>leaking over the last two weeks. And he's expecting a lot more.
>
>As long as temperatures stay around freezing,
>snow and ice will continue to thaw and refreeze
>on the roof, where ice at the edge holds back
>water behind it. That water works its way
>through the shingles -- even climbing up a
>pitched roof -- and drips down inside the walls,
>damaging wallboard, trim, insulation and sometimes flooring.
>
>So what can you do? Nothing, except catch or mop
>up the water you can see and maybe poke a hole
>in the wall or ceiling to drain what you can't see.
>
>Sam W. Gregg, 79, of Peters, said that about
>four days ago, he and his wife noticed water
>dripping down a window in the dining room of
>their 50-year-old home. Then, the same thing
>happened in their living room and two bedrooms.
>
>"Since it was a little warmer today, it's
>getting heavier," he said Thursday. "I'm worried that it will get worse."
>
>The Greggs replace soaked towels on the
>windowsills every six hours or so. They haven't
>filed a homeowners claim yet but figured they should let Mr. Thomas know.
>
>Mr. Thomas said most water damage claims will be
>covered. And since large insurance carriers have
>designated this a catastrophe loss, homeowners'
>rates generally won't be affected.
>
>However, that doesn't mean insurance companies
>will replace your roof, or pay to make sure this
>doesn't happen again. For that, you'll have to
>wait until the ice and snow are gone.
>
>Installing loops of heat tape -- electrical wire
>or tape that can be plugged into an outlet --
>will create gaps in the ice at the eaves to
>allow water to run off. An even better solution
>is to have a roofer install an ice and water
>shield beneath the bottom 3 or 4 feet of
>shingles. This adhesive rubber membrane will
>prevent water trapped behind an ice dam from getting through.
>
>But no one -- roofers included -- should be
>working up there now. Even if you could safely
>work on an icy, pitched roof, removing snow or
>chipping away ice won't help and might just make it worse.
>
>So for now, experts say, mop up, stay off the
>roof and pray that temperatures drop into the
>20s and stay there. As long as it's ice, it can't drip into your house.

> [...]
text of forwarded message ends:

John
Currently in Ocala, Florida Clear, 64°F Wind:SSW-200° at 6mph
Lactomangulation: Manhandling the 'open here'
spout on a milk container so badly that one has
to resort to the 'illegal' side.
Created by Weather Signature v1.31 • http://www.weathersig.com