From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Scott Howell
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:42 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Fwd: Speaking of icicles!!

Hi,

        I could easily see how this is a problem.  I just added insulation
to my attic and it was R30, which was rolled out over what was already
there.  The way my attic is configured is that at the ends of the roof,
there is an empty area, which I gather is called the eves. The reason why I
say gather is because what is interesting to me and I can't compare this to
any other roofs as I have not crawled into a tun of attics, but there are
vented panels that are on the underside of the roof. These have no wood,
they are instead open. What I mean is if you removed the panels, you would
be able to put your hand directly into the attic and touch the underside of
the roof. So, I did not put insulation clear to the edge, but instead took
it out to just the point behind this open area because I did not want to
block the airflow. So, I found some small ice sickles, which seem to be more
likely water that may have run backward or maybe more accurately off the
edge of the gutter and flowed back under the eve. I'm making an assumption
here because the ice sickles just seem to be hanging there, not quite
attached to a flow, other than what was coming down over the edge of the
gutter. When I have the roof replaced at some point and I mean replaced, not
reshingled, I will check into barriers etc. I have not gone into the attic
to see what is going on and I probably should. So, far we have not noticed
any water coming into the home and I did go up and tear off the leaf guard
things and busted up a lot of the ice in the gutters. So, maybe this will
help get things flowing properly. :) This has been the worst WInter I can
recall.  And imagine, it will apparently rain or snow some on MOnday, which
should add insult to injury.
On Feb 19, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Dave Andrus wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I grew up in northern Wisconsin. We were always told that if you have
> icicles it means you do not have enough insulation in the attic. When
> the sun melts snow from the top the water runs off the top. If you
> have ice dams and icicles this means melt from the underside. This can
> only happen from heat coming up from the rooms below.
>
> Certainly there are a few exceptions to this situation, but I suggest
> you find out how much insulation you have. We now live in st. Louis.
> Both here and up north they suggest an R30 or above for the attic.
>
> Dave A.
>
> Working together, sharing the light of salvation seen through the
> cross of Jesus
>
> Rev. Dave Andrus, Director
> Lutheran Blind Mission
> 888 215 2455
> HTTP://WWW.BLINDMISSION.ORG

------------------------------------

blindhandyman-ow...@yahoogroups.com
http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_p
age&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
Or

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/

If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following
address for more information:
http://www.jaws-users.com/