For the last several years, I have responded on various boards to complaints
about bad latency with a happy-go-lucky "Or just try OpenWrt!". [recent
example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/1ay509v/comment/krx120h/?context=3]
 I used to mention IQrouter, but that's no longer a possibility.

Not wanting to give hollow advice, I decided to gather information about router
models that support OpenWrt without much risk to a newcomer's:

- home/family network
- free time
- wallet

My hope was to collect a few recommendations for units that might permit a
someone who was intrigued by our "Just try OpenWrt!" enthusiasm to spend a few
bucks and a few hours and see if it made things better. So I threw this note
over the wall to the OpenWrt forum:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/best-newcomer-router-2024/189050

Along with two options (only available on eBay), I got back a whole lot of
unsatisfactory responses. (See
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/best-newcomer-router-2024/189050/21)

But then thoughtful messages started arriving, discussing the state of the
world for modern OpenWrt routers, and why the firmware really isn't as easy to
install as one might wish, how capable routers aren't as inexpensive as one
might hope, etc.

Am I right to despair? Are there no routers out there that we can recommend in
good faith that are easy to install, powerful enough (for SQM) at ordinary
speeds, and won't break the bank?

Many thanks.

Rich