Hi,

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:47:16AM +0100, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> > On 26. Feb 2024, at 10:24, Erik Auerswald via Bloat
> > <bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 06:34:47PM -0500, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Then they plug the new router's WAN port into their ISP modem's port,
> >> connect their laptop's Ethernet to the LAN port, point their browser to
> >> "openwrt.lan"
> >
> > How about "openwrt.local" to conform to mDNS (RFC 6762) and IANA's
> > [special-use domain names][1]?  Or perhaps "openwrt.internal" in the
> > future?
>
> [...] I think openwrt.local shouldd not be used, because .local is
> reserved for mDNS, no?

Well, ideally OpenWRT would use mDNS to announce this name, perhaps in
addition to DNS on the LAN side.  So it should be used because it is
reserved for mDNS.

(Resolving .local via DNS might result in some mDNS clients disabling
themselves, and .internal is not yet decided, so keeping openwrt.lan
might be practical.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Br,
Erik