Mmmh,

> On 26. Feb 2024, at 10:24, Erik Auerswald via Bloat
> <bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 06:34:47PM -0500, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:
>> [...]
>> Then they plug the new router's WAN port into their ISP modem's port,
>> connect their laptop's Ethernet to the LAN port, point their browser to
>> "openwrt.lan"
>
> How about "openwrt.local" to conform to mDNS (RFC 6762) and IANA's
> [special-use domain names][1]?  Or perhaps "openwrt.internal" in the
> future?

Or perhaps openwrt.home.arpa...? I think openwrt.local shouldd not be used,
because .local is reserved for mDNS, no?

OpenWrt defaults to .lan, and .lan is one of the top ten 'leaking' TLDs
already, we should simply< agree never to assign the 10 (or 15 or whatever)
highest leaking fake TLD as true TLDs, and problem solved, without requiring
any more bike shedding from IANA, ICAN, ARPA, ...
I am sure that, as pragmatic as it might be, is not going to happen... Perhaps
because someone intends to convert one/more of the leaking fake TLDs into real
TLDs?