On Sun, 25 Feb 2024, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:

Am I right to despair? Are there no routers out there that we can recommend in
good faith that are easy to install, powerful enough (for SQM) at ordinary
speeds, and won't break the bank?

the problem is the 'easy to install' requirement. Too many vendors (including ones that used to be easy to install) are adding extra hoops to jump through on the newer models.

Right now, I'm going for the e8450 (seems to also be listed as e8451 for a single and e8454 for a 4 pack) amazon.com/Linksys-E8451-AX3200-WiFi-Router/dp/B0BJBQK6TH/ but installing requires jumping through a couple hoops (downgrade factory firmware, then install openwrt)

Also looking forward to the OpenWRT one router.

David Lang