== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Thurs, Mar 1 2007 5:32 pm
From: "Abhijit K"

It is above the executive !
executive handles day to day work, with full powers, however the council can
veto its decisions.
also, executive is formed out of members of council only.
- abhijit k

--
Abhijit A. Meenakshi
About my name: www.geocities.com/abhijit1303/aboutname.txt

TOPIC: Let us Do it,, Dr. Yunus Way,, of Grameen Bank.
http://groups.google.com/group/BM_discussion/browse_thread/thread/9c4ccc266fd16549?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Sat, Mar 3 2007 10:38 pm
From: "Sundeep Jalan"

My  fellow  Brothers  and  Sisters,

I  take  this  Opportunity  to  bring  to  your  Knowledge,  the  Novel
Business  Idea  of  Dr.Yunus.  Spending  3.5  Minutes  imminent.

ALONG  A  DIRT  ROAD  IN  BANGLADESH' S  green  ,  fertile  heartland,  140
miles  Northwest  of  Dhaka,  workers  in  Flip-flops  are  hauling
bricks,  pouring  cement,  and  hammering  boards.
THE  OBJECT  OF  THEIR  LABOUR:  A  small  YOGURT  Factory  being  built
by  DANONE,  the  FRENCH  FOOD  Company,  on  the  outskirts  of  Bogra.

It  may  not  look  like  much,  but  the  one  storeyed  building  behind
a  wrought  iron  gate  is  the  Epic Center  of  A  Big  New  Idea-  One
that  Muhammed  Yunus,  the  winner  of  last  year's  Nobel  Peace  Prize
for  his  pioneering  work  on  Microcredit,  thinks  can  revolutionise  a
World,  still  being  transformed  by  his  first  big  Idea.

" I  HOPE  IT  WILL  BE  AN  IMPORTANT  LANDMARK  IN  THE  ANNALS  OF
BUSINESS, "  YUNUS  Says  a  few  days  later  in  Dhaka,  at  the  opening
Ceremony  for  the  Factory  in  early  November  2006.

THe  Idea  Marries  the  Interests  of  Corporations  with  Economic
Development  in  a  way  that  has  never  been  tried  before.

Yunus  is  not  Calling  for  Capitalism' s  Abolition,  instead  Its
Enlightenment.

At  a  Lunch  in  Paris,  Yunus  invited  Danone  CEO  Franck  Riboud  to
come  to  Bangladesh  and  Build  HIS  first  Social  Business  Enterprise.
Riboud  listened,  then  agreed.  The  Yogurt  Danone  would  make  would
be  Fortified  to  help  curb  Mal-Nutrition  and  Priced ( at  7  Cents  a
Cup )  to  be  affordable.  All  revenue  from  the  JV  with  Grameen
Bank  would  be  Re-invested,  with  Danone  taking  out  only  its
initial  Cost  of  Capital,  about  $500 000,  after  3  years.

The  Factory-  and  Ultimately  50   more - will  rely  on  Grameen
Microborrowers  buying  COWS  to  sell  its  Milk  on  the  front  End,
Grameen  Microvendors  selling  the  Yogurt  Door  to  Door,  and  Grameen'
s  6.6  Million  Members  purchasing  for  their  Kids.
Bio-degradable  cups  made  from  Cornstarch,  Solar  Panels  for
Electricity  generation,  and  Rainwater  collection  Vats  make  the
Enterprise  Environmentally  friendly.

UNICEF  believes  it  may  be  such  a  Revolutionary  means  of  Improving
Nutrition  through  a  Sustainable  Business  Model  that  it  is  watching
closely-  and  may  seek  to  replicate  around  the  World.

" Its  really  a  Growth  strategy  for  our  Company,  We  are  convinced
that  in  this  World,  when  you  are  a  Consumer  goods  Company  and
the  Country  is  a  Developing  Country,  it  would  be  crazy  to  think
only  about  the  peak  of  the  Pyramid,"  Says  Riboud.

Ideas  along  these  lines  are  being  discussed  within  Corporation
such  as  GE,  UNILEVER,  COCA-COLA,  PEPSI CO, and  CARGILL,  says  Marc
Van  Ameringen,  Executive  Director  of  the  Global  Alliance  for
Improved  Nutrition  in  Geneva. " The  New  wave  in  Business is,  FORGET
Corporate  Social  Responsibility  or  Philanthropy,  how  do  you
Integrate  this  into  your  Core  Business," he  says. " The  Idea  Danone
has  of  creating  a  Social  Dividend  for  Shareholders-- that' s
cutting  edge. No  one  else  has  come  up  with  this  interesting
Model.  It  supports  your  Brand,  returns  your  Capital,  you  are  not
going  to  lose  Money,  and  you  give  your  Shareholders  a  vision  of
doing  something  good."

While  half  of  Bangladesh  still  lives  below  the  Poverty  line,
Grameen  says  that  5% of  its  borrowers  escape  Poverty  every  Year.

In  a  Country  like  Bangladesh,  paralyzed   by  Strikes  and  inept
Governance,  its  obvious  why  Yunus  sees  BUSINESS  rather  than  the
STATE  as  the  way  to  solve  Social  Problems.

Source: Fortune,  Feb 2007.

JAYHIND,

Sandeep  Jalan
32, Rajpuria  Baug, N P Thakkar  Rd,