Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:40:19 -0400
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crackpots

I accidentally cracked a toilet once, does that count?
Gary Derian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:44:23 -0400
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1998 M3 Convertible FOR SALE

I just duct tape a roller skate to the door handle.
Gary Derian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:42:26 -0400
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Airbag removal

Yes.  Plus the belt may be extra stretchy in an air bag car.  An air bag
alone without a seat belt isn't worth much, but it is a nice addition to a
seat belt.  Once you start hitting brick walls at 30+ mph, the seat belt
will crack your ribs.  The airbag spreads the load out over a larger area.
Gary Derian

> Considering replacing my stock steering wheel (w/air bag) with a very nice
Momo peice.  Question:  If the stock 3-point harness is used correctly, does
the air bag offer significant additional safety benefits?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Considering replacing my stock steering wheel (w/air bag) with a very nice
> > Momo peice.  Question:  If the stock 3-point harness is used correctly,
> > does the air bag offer significant additional safety benefits?

I'd note that my work/neighbor's wife walked away from a head on collision last week,
probably
thanks to her airbag...hit by a girl who was busy freaking out about a cicada in her
car...Also
helped by her airbag.

May not be as helpful in rollover or side impact situations, but every little bit
helps.

Marc Plante
E36 325i, 220k [For Sale]
E36 M3/4, 49k
2002 Audi AR
Vienna, VA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Dorffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: pressure bleeder

Better than making one, just buy one from Motive Products for very little more than it
costs to
assemble one...

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:37:09 -0700
From: "Damon at gmx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Be aware that removing a safety system like the airbag can potentially cause
you problems with your insurance company if you have to file a claim down
the road.

Damon
'94 325i
'95 993

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:44:03 -0700
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [bmwuucdigest] digest(15 messages)

Oh no! You know it's going to be a crazy day if THE Kathy Lyle rides the bus too.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Pingger

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:38:26 -0400
From: Kathy Lyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: BMWUUCDigest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:00:07 -0500
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

on 6/10/04 12:45 PM, Kathy Lyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You guys don't get it.  The man didn't say rollover protection; these
> spikes help avoid body roll.  They are an alternative to swaybars and
> they work like this: under hard cornering the spikes come out the sides
> like a pontoon and keep the car from heeling over too far.  Geez....

Hey, don't laugh. I was watching some recent Mont Tremblant race coverage on
SpeedTV, and one of the cars came back in after a tire change complaining of
weird handling. Turned out a front air jack had failed to retract, leading
to exactly the effect Kathy describes!

Neil
96 M3

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:30:22 -0700
From: "Ahmad S. Hamzawi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> Rollover package (spikes from rear of car deploy to avoid body roll)

> Geez Rich - ya know how it works.  As soon as the cars senses it's about
>> 167.28 degrees from shiny side up a spike shoots out of the top of the
>> car and reestablishes the dull side down attitude.  Pretty simple.

> Hmm, I was envisioning spikes that pop out and damage the bad guy's
tires... a la James Bond like.

That's an aftermarket mod I had installed but I sold those separately. I
also have a custom built eject button (passenger side only) in case the
girly complains that the wind is messing up her nappy hair. Note: the eject
button doesn't work too well with the top up.

These pics don't show the eject button unfortunately:
http://home.comcast.net/~ahamzawi/m3_pics/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:44:00 -0400
From: Chris Skene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Wheels and tires

         I have recently acquired an '87 325 for a good price ($0)
and am looking for a rear bumper (they all need that.) The question
is - my '72 2002 is for sale
<http://www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/trillium/forum/post.jsp?postid=297>
and it has Revolution 5-spoke wheels with 205/50/15 F - 225/50/15 R.
The fronts are 6 inch, rears 7 inch. I know the bolt pattern and the
offset are OK. I wonder if the mental conglomerate out there could
tell me if I will have to do fender rolling or anything else to fit
these wheels and tires to the 325. I could spend several hours
trialing and erroring but a note would save my back, not to mention
my recently repaired eye, a bunch of time.
        Thanx.
--
Chris Skene

For narration and voice-over services, check <http://chris.skene.org>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:47:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Donn York <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: "Catalyst Damage" code from Check Engine Light

My '97 328iA just had the Check Engine light go on
last night.  I had AutoZone read the code(s) today,
and there were two:

1) P1421 Catalyst Damage
2) EGI Functionality Test Failed

My car still has 6 months and 27000 miles of catalytic
converter warrantee left on it, so I'm bringing it
into the dealer tomorrow.  They said that the
catalytic converter would be covered unless the
problem was caused by debris/etc. damaging the
converter.  Then it's around, gulp, $1000.

Any advice on dealing with the dealer and/or this
issue?  If they won't cover it under warrantee, I
don't plan on having the dealer do the work.

Also, anyone ever heard of the other code (#2)?  I'm
hoping it's caused by the cc and it all gets fixed
together, of course.

Thanks,

Donn
'97 328iA
'04 RX330 (wife's)

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:10:39 -0500
From: "Batt, Jeff (MED)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how to remove rear trailer arm bushings - e36?

Hello All,

I'm going to be replacing my rear trailer arm bushings in my 1995
M3...has anyone used this tool:

http://www.victoryproductdesign.com/suspension_main.htm

Trailing Arm Bushing Removal/Install Tool
 A-0048

And if I don't feel like spending $84, does anyone have a cheaper
suggestion?

Thanks, Jeff

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:14:34 -0500
From: "Batt, Jeff (MED)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: how to remove rear trailer arm bushings - e36?

To hijack my own post...has anyone used/installed the TMS Trailing Arm
Bushing Limiter Kit from Turner motor sports?  I don't track my car
(it's a daily driver in a pothill filled town).  Is this upgrade worth
the $90?  It's supposed to help the life of the bushings and improve
handling?

Thanks again!

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:35:06 -0700
From: Roger Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: E36 M3 Engine Swap Oil Dipstick Problems

Yep, Brett's right as usual... you should have used everything off your
OBD1 motor and just used the 3.2 short block. Hopefully you still have
the rear crankshaft sensor installed... I did all of this to my '92 332
track toy & it works out great ;) None of the problems my AA turbo'd 2.5
had either...
--
Roger Baker

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 2004 15:05:37 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: pressure brake bleeder

The European Power Bleeder by Motive Products is so cheap and so
useful that it makes no sense for the DIYer to bleed brakes any
other way.  And since you'll be bleeding your brakes yearly, the
price is easily justified, eh?

Made by <www.motiveproducts.com>.  Costs USD 45-50.
Available from the usual local and national parts vendors.

Curt Ingraham
72 2002tii
Oakland, CA