Well, that is interesting. Are you using an mPower? Mine always remembers where I was on a page, and takes me there when I go back or forward in the history. It also saves automatically, so until I do a hard reset my username is saved. I have only to enter my password and hit the login button. I agree that more info should be given, but you really get used to not having it. The command, on a BT anyway, to have the cursor on a link without "clicking" that link is the PREVIOUS thumb key (the one on the extreme left) held down while you hit a cursor routing key over the linked text.

Good luck, and just keep playing with it. It takes some getting used to, and the acceptance that it will not behave the same nor be as powerful as IE on a computer.
Alex

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terri Pannett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "BrailleNote List" <[email protected]
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 19:58:07 -0700
Subject: [Braillenote] Keyweb and Internet Explorer

Dear List,

I have been using Keyweb for the past several days because I was
not home
and I didn't have access to my PC. Most of the time, I surf the
web using
my PC with Internet Explorer and WindowEyes for my screen reader.
I'm not
the best web-surfer and I haven't had as much experience with
Keyweb as some
of you but I have noticed some differences.

1. The web pages load faster using Keyweb, but they look totally
alien to
me. For one thing, the braille displays links, edit boxes,
frames and
tables buttons and dialog boxes appear differently. I suppose
this must be
because HumanWare decided to use different symbols and
abbreviations than GW
Micro does. I suppose people who use the shark have learned yet
another set
of braille symbols and abbreviations. Although I think Keysoft
is usually
intuitive, I find Keyweb not to be so intuitive with its symbols
and
abbreviations. It's too bad there aren't a standard set of
symbols and
abbreviations for all braille displays.

2. I don't know if it's just me, but I have noticed web pages on
the PC
have more details than web pages on the BN. For example, let's
take the
www.amazon site. I don't remember seeing a special link for
screen readers
when I looked at it using the BN, but the link jumped out at me
when I used
the PC. I also found it harder to search for an item using the
BN than
using the PC.

3. The layout of the web pages seems different. On the BN, the
text goes
across the line with lots of space between columns. I find this
extra space
to be annoying. But on the PC, the columns are laid out
vertically and the
lines are shorter. The BN occasionally gives details about the
web page,
but WindowEyes always gives details like: "11 tables, x amout of
rows, x
columns x frames and x headings and x subheadings." It also
tells me when
I'm starting to look at a new table, but the BN doesn't. Since I
can't tell
where one table ends and the next begins, I can't jump from one
table to the
next.

4. If a site, like Google, has an edit box, WindowEyes will
automatically
jump to the edit box but the BN always places me at the top of
the page and
I have to wade through the links to find the edit box. Also,
when I go back
and forth between web pages, WindowEyes remembers where I left
off but the
BN doesn't.

5. This difference has been mentioned before, but I can't
understand why it
exists. I'm referring to the fact that Windows on my PC will
remember my
username and password when I go to certain web sites but the BN
won't.
Also, I'm more certain to have trouble typing in my username and
password
and having the site recognize it when I use the BN. This is
annoying,
especially when I want to use a "quickcheckout" or "1-click
purchase" at an
online store. In fact, I couldn't even checkout with one
store--I had to
phone in my order. But previously, I had been able to set up an
account and
checkout using my PC. If I had had a PC at my location, I could
have placed
the order online.

6. The BN shows everything in one grade of braille. This is
fine except
(1) when I'm looking at a URL or email address and (2) when I
write in an
edit box. I can't even route the cursor to the computereze and
see the URL
or email address in computer braille like I can when I'm using
Keymail.
WindowEyes, on the other hand, will always show anything under
the cursor to
be in computer braille. Is there a way to route the BN's cursor
to an item
without accessing a link?

Can someone explain why Keyweb and the BN behaves differently
from the PC
and WindowEyes? Does it have to do with the platform, (Windows
CE versus
Windows XP) and the methods of interpreting the web sites?

Thanks for any insight.

Terri, Amateur Radio call sign KF6CA. Army MARS call sign
AAT9PX,
California


___
To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote



___
To leave the BrailleNote list, send a blank message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To view the list archives or change your preferences, visit
http://list.humanware.com/mailman/listinfo/braillenote

Reply via email to