Julia is correct. I'm more peace-loving than my government. I don't know how
much of this has made it into the US media, but as much as it collides with
Gautam's Euro-bashing, the Dutch government is quite happily supporting the
US. They have offered to send troops and equipment (SAM batteries) to
Turkey, they have offered F-16's (an offer which was declined by the US),
and they have allowed the US to transport their troops and equipment through
our country.

> *If* the same was true at the time of the Balkan conflict, then you're
> not being fair to him with that paragraph.  If, however, his position at
> the outbreak of the Balkan conflict was that something had to be done,
> then you're not being so unfair.  I'd want clarification of what his
> position was and when he held that position before I went any further
> with this, one way or the other.

I didn't believe that launching an all-out war against the Serbs would be a
good idea. I favoured the idea of sending in an international UN Peace Force
to keep the fighting parties out of each other's hair, and then go for a
diplomatic solution.

Not that this is relevant here; the situation with the Balkan is completely
different from the situation with Iraq.

Jeroen "Make love, not war" van Baardwijk