On > Behalf Of Julia Thompson
> Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 8:34 PM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: L3 Re: Your Favorite SciFi/Fantasy Movie Soundtrack?
>
> Jon Gabriel wrote:
> >
> > >From: "Reggie Bautista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >Subject: L3  Re: Your Favorite SciFi/Fantasy Movie Soundtrack?
> > >Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:59:27 -0600
> > >
> > >Talking about Star Trek: The Motion(less) Picture (sorry
> > >for the cheap shot, I'll get back to it near the end of
> > >the email), I wrote:
> > >

> > <snipped a very long and somewhat fascinating post that I will
probably
> > respond to at length as soon as I'm able>
> >
> > But first, this cheap shot:
> >
> > L3?!?   9K?!?
> >
> > It's just a TV show!
> > Get a life, people!
> > Move out of your parent's basements!
>
> 1)  If I'd had the time, I might have done something just as long.  I
> haven't had time to respond to José's original request, much less
write a
> dissertation on ST movies.

Oh no no no no no no! No!   Please don't tell me you took me
***seriously***?!?!

And *gasp* don't tell me you've never seen or heard what must be the
greatest SNL skit of all time, where Bill Shatner finally snaps and
yells at a bunch of hardcore Trek fans at a convention that they should:

"Get a life, will you, people! I mean, for crying out loud, it was just
a TV show.  You've taken a fun little job I did 20 years ago and turned
into a tremendous waste of time"

I thought everyone had seen that!  Heck, Shatner even wrote a book
entitled "Get a Life!"  I would easily be able to convincingly argue
that I'm one of the biggest ST fans on the list and even I thought that
skit was hilarious.  :-)

> 2)  There are lots of things that are "just a TV show" that are still
> worth
> discussing.

If I had more time, I'd probably have written volumes on the movies and
all six series. :-)  I'd certainly have been able to. :-)

> 3)  I never lived in anyone's basement.  I never lived with my parents

> after
> college.

Respectively not guilty and guilty, here.

> I'm presently living in a very nice house with my husband and my
> son (see, that's the time sink!), and we don't even *have* a basement,
> unless you count the roughly 8'X4'X4' storm shelter embedded in the
> foundation.

</serious/>
Is Austin like Amarillo (and much of El Paso,) then, where you'd be
blasting into solid rock if you had wanted a basement?  My uncle had one
blasted for his home, but my parents (and grandparents) never had one.
Expensive as all heck to do. But they definitely make sleeping through
tornado season easier.
</serious/>

> Not very much room for living on a day-to-day basis, although
> in the very extremely unlikely event that the weather gets really,
really
> bad, it could be something of a lifesaver.  (But I think that the more
> likely scenario is that the people down the hill have to flee their
houses
> due to flooding, and maybe a couple end up crashing with us, since
there
> would have to be an *awfully* big flood for it to affect us that
badly.)

> 4)  Define "a life".  :)

I'd better not! :)

Jon