Jon Gabriel wrote:

> [...]

No, yours was the only post that I could come up with a good response for
off the cuff.  :)

> And *gasp* don't tell me you've never seen or heard what must be the
> greatest SNL skit of all time, where Bill Shatner finally snaps and
> yells at a bunch of hardcore Trek fans at a convention that they should:
>
> "Get a life, will you, people! I mean, for crying out loud, it was just
> a TV show.  You've taken a fun little job I did 20 years ago and turned
> into a tremendous waste of time"
>
> I thought everyone had seen that!  Heck, Shatner even wrote a book
> entitled "Get a Life!"  I would easily be able to convincingly argue
> that I'm one of the biggest ST fans on the list and even I thought that
> skit was hilarious.  :-)

I never actually saw the skit.  I've heard about it, and seen Shatner's book
(but not read it; the only cast member whose book(s) I've read is Nimoy).

> > 2)  There are lots of things that are "just a TV show" that are still
> > worth
> > discussing.
>
> If I had more time, I'd probably have written volumes on the movies and
> all six series. :-)  I'd certainly have been able to. :-)

If you ever have the time, that could be entertaining, at least to some of
us.  :)

> > 3)  I never lived in anyone's basement.  I never lived with my parents
>
> > after
> > college.
>
> Respectively not guilty and guilty, here.
>
> > I'm presently living in a very nice house with my husband and my
> > son (see, that's the time sink!), and we don't even *have* a basement,
> > unless you count the roughly 8'X4'X4' storm shelter embedded in the
> > foundation.
>
> </serious/>
> Is Austin like Amarillo (and much of El Paso,) then, where you'd be
> blasting into solid rock if you had wanted a basement?  My uncle had one
> blasted for his home, but my parents (and grandparents) never had one.
> Expensive as all heck to do. But they definitely make sleeping through
> tornado season easier.
> </serious/>

Well, in some spots, you dig down through the clay for a bit, and then you
hit solid rock.

You *can* construct a basement; a guy I know who's building a house much
bigger than ours (on the order of 10-15,000 square feet) is building it with
a basement; but it's very, very expensive.  (The price tag on *that* house
is in the millions of dollars, so the basement part isn't that big a deal
for him.)  We'd thought a basement might be nice to have, but after talking
with people, the extra cost was prohibitive for us.

What we have is the small storm shelter embedded into the foundation.  They
didn't have dig much deeper in that spot than they had to dig for the rest
of the foundation, and the spot we built on is reasonably easy to dig
through for a good 10' down, at least.  (There were no problems putting in
the septic system, which they had to dig a fair bit down for.  If they'd hit
rock too close to the surface, that would have jacked up our cost quite a
bit.)

> > Not very much room for living on a day-to-day basis, although
> > in the very extremely unlikely event that the weather gets really,
> really
> > bad, it could be something of a lifesaver.  (But I think that the more
> > likely scenario is that the people down the hill have to flee their
> houses
> > due to flooding, and maybe a couple end up crashing with us, since
> there
> > would have to be an *awfully* big flood for it to affect us that
> badly.)
> >
> > 4)  Define "a life".  :)
> >

> I'd better not! :)

Most definitions of "a life" tend to exclude parents of small children,
unless the children are handed off to hired folks on a regular basis.  We
hand Sammy off to someone about twice a month for the evening, and that's
it.  I'm not sure that's enough to constitute "a life".  :)

        Julia