On
> Behalf Of Julia Thompson
> Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 3:38 PM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: L3 Re: Your Favorite SciFi/Fantasy Movie Soundtrack?
>
> "Jose J. Ortiz-Carlo" wrote:
>
> > You'll have to agree with me that when TNG was good, it was GREAT.
But
> when
> > it was poor, it was REALLY bad.  I may sound like a purist, but I
have
> > always divided TNG into two eras: before Gene's death, and after
Gene's
> > death.  I humbly think quality control in TNG, and the Trek
franchise in
> > general, declined greatly after Rodenberry passed away.
>
> But it took them a little while to get it right.  I don't think the
first
> season was as good as seasons 2-4, frex.
>
> Someone who knows more about ST:TNG off the top of his head, but is
also
> somewhat biased in some matters, credits Melinda Snodgrass with the
> turnaround.  (He heard the story of the script proposal leading to
writing
> the script leading eventually to the "creative consultant" job from
> Melinda,
> hence I credit him with bias....)
>
> I personally think one of the coolest TNG eps was "Darmok" and I can't
> remember just when Roddenberry died with respect to that.

By season:

My TNG picks:
1. Heart of Glory
2. Q Who
3. Yesterday's Enterprise
4. Best of Both Worlds II
5. Darmok / The Inner Light (TIL is my favorite episode of the series)
6. Chain of Command II
7. All Good Things

For DS9:
1. Duet
2. Necessary Evil / The Crossover
3. Through the Looking Glass
4. The Visitor (my favorite episode of the series)
5. Children of Time / In The Cards
6. Far Beyond The Stars / In The Pale Moonlight (my second favorite)
7. It's Only A Paper Moon / Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

To comment about how DS9 took Gene Roddenberry's idealistic vision and
systematically dismantled it:

I thought the series lived up to the vision established by TOS and TNG
by injecting a hearty dose of reality into it.  The one theme that DS9
hit upon again and again was how our ideals change when we are
threatened. When our existence is jeopardized individually or as a
species how do our ethics and values hold up?  When our backs are
against the wall, will we make questionably moral choices we never would
have considered in other situations?

Gene's vision was an ideal. But our ideals must be challenged for us to
truly understand and appreciate not only what they represent, but also
how practical they are.

Frex: it's all well and good to be morally against the death penalty,
but try answering the infamous 'Dukakis question' honestly without
sounding like a cold-hearted bastard.

My $.02

Jon
>From imdb.com:
Garak: That's why you came to me, isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I
could do those things that you weren't capable of doing? Well, it
worked. And you'll get what you want: a war between the Romulans and the
Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it
with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha
Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one
criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know
about you, but I'd call that a bargain!