On 1 Mar 2003 at 21:18, Gary L. Nunn wrote:

> I wrote.....
> > > In Ohio one can own a gun without a license, but in the
> > near future,
> > > you will need a license to carry a concealed weapon.
>

> > Andy
> > Dawn Falcon wrote....
> > As far as I'n concerned, that's nuts. Means you can have people who
> > don't know gun safety...
> >
> > At least in Israel, the people you see walking arround with guns
> > have had military training...
>
> Actually, I agree with you on both points. I know gun owners here in
> town that genuinely scare me. They are redneck, good old, boys who's
> parents were probably cousins. The new concealed carry law will be a
> good thing though. It will require not only background checks, but an
> 8 or 10 hour safety class and test before you will be able to legally
> carry a concealed weapon.  Personally, I would consider a safety class
> and license before you were allowed to own a weapon a good thing.
>
> Gary
>
> Gun control means using two hands Maru.

*nods*

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against private gun ownership (of
pistols, hunting rifles and shotguns and the like - not military
weapons), but I'd like to see a compulsory safety class before they
get a liscence.

I'm also utterly against anyone with a criminal record of any
severity (even 2+ things like theft) being allowed a lisence.

Andy
Dawn Falcon