<be forewarned, this may be considered long, or very long by some>

Jose J. Ortiz-Carlo on Sun Mar 2 00:30:26 PST 2003 wrote:

> Welcome aboard. Have fun!! :)

Thanks for the welcome Jose, muchas gracias. Krajo que este
sitio es bien activo :-)

J. van Baardwijk on Sun Mar 2 16:28:56 PST 2003 wrote:

> Hello to you too, and welcome on board!   :-)
>
> Care to tell us a bit more about you? You know, "getting to know you" and
> stuff like that.   :-)
[...snip part of message...]
> All that should give you some idea of what you're getting yourself
> into...   <GRIN>

Thanks to you too Jeroen, heel hartelijk bedankt. Deze plaats is verdommed
bezig! duui!
BTW, I did check out the websites you gave me, pretty cool! I will go back.

I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with just this thread, but one of the
best
posts I saw was by The Fool on Wed Feb 26 21:15:34 PST 2003 when
he wrote a most amusing description of most languages, it's a keeper!
If I ever make to Norfolk (unless he's in some other city),
I'll have to give him a call.

Now to answer Jeroen's request.

I did start off wiring control panels when machines were still called "hard
iron",
they had crankshafts, relays, the printing mechanism was typebars that
lifted up
and down and stopped when the character read through a punched card read
by brushes making contact with a copper roller.
The old saying about you dropping a tray of cards really screwed up your day
was true because you would have had to sort the cards and seaprate them into
different groups, i.e., "master card" -- contains name and address, "balance
card" -- contains your previous day's bank balance and "detail cards" -- the
checks and or deposits you made during the day.

So we had a "sorter" (082, 083, 084 -- each more sofisticaded and faster
than
the previos one), it's function is self-evident.

We had a "collator" (077) where you had two (2) hoppers -- where you put
cards in. So one hopper would have the "master cards" and the other would
have the "balance card" and what the machine would do is place the "master
card" ahead of the "balance card". So far it sounds easy enough but
consider,
sometimes the amount of information for a "master card" would span the 80
columns available so you would have two (2) "master cards" that had to go
ahead of the "balance card". Then you placed the merged cards into one
hopper
and the "detail cards" into the other so that in the end you would have
name,
balance and daily transactions in sequence ready to go to the "tabulator".

<getting bored by now? I hope not, this _is_ history!>

The "tabulator" (402, 407, 421, etc.) were machines that took these merged
cards and actually printed invoices, bank statements, and et al. business
accounting systems. They were usually connected to a "reproducing punch"
(514, 519) machine by a huge cable about 2 in. thick and punched the
new "balance card" for use the next evening. They were also used of course
to "reproduce" cards whenever they would wear out.

There were "calculators" (602 -- completely mechanical, 604 -- had tubes)
that would read a card and perform i.e. interest calculations and punch the
result on the same card.

Let me not forget "punch machines" (024, 026 -- actually printed the
contents
of the card on top of the card, 029 -- a bit more modern) and there used to
be rooms filled with these machines -- usually 10 - 100, depending on the
size of the business. This was where all paper was transcribed to data
cards.

<I hope you're still with me, although they didn't know it then they were
 already subjected to something similar to Moore's Law -- this is 1965
 I'm describing, that's when I started repairing the dastardly things.
 Imagine a bug on one of these things could actually be a rat that had
 gotten caught in the gears of the machine>

Computers, ...OK my first machine was a 1401 and it had 4K of memory,
that's right, only 4K. That's where we ran Accounts Payable, A/R, Payroll
and all accounting functions. These machines had the doughnut "core" for
memory and while learning to program them, we actually did map out
memory into segments where data was going to be stored and the areas
where the instructions were going to be placed. Even today each byte has
an associated address. These machines also came with -- "oooh joy" --
three (3) index registers.
Then they made Autocoder available (pretty much the same as Assembler)
and that made the programming job a whole lot easier. Remember there was
no operating system, so you had to write your own I/O routines and the
Channel Commands associated (peripherals had a whole different set of
instructions and still do.) 1440 and 1410 were other machines using the
same architecture and the 70x, 70xx, were a different breed made for
scientific purposes (never had anything to do with those).

<skipping a whole bunch in the scientific area>

But then came the 360's (fixing these was a blast, upgrades even better,
imagine incresing the memory for one these machines from 64K to 128K
cost the customer approximately $500,000).
The beauty of these systems was that they did have operating systems, the
early DOS, MVS (it wasn't called that), the telecommunications BTAM,
QTAM, etc. came to life. Having a 300 baud modem was lightning speed!
...and then the 370's...that's when I quit hardware support, no control over
where you placed your oscilloscope probe.

OK, let's fast forward a bit. I became software support for the 1st version
of CICS (this is quiz question -- see if anyone knows what it means :-)
and eventually went through the paces of DOS, MVS and VM in it's
multiple flavours, (AIX, OS/2, etc. towards the end of my stay at IBM).

Became a Systems Engineer, Sales Rep., Product Planner for SQL/DS,
worked with early "natural language", "knowledge based system" products,
and then retired from IBM (in South America, Caribeean, Europe, USA
and Canada)

...enough, I'm tired and if you've stuck with me this far, ...thanks!

My opinion on languages. They all have/had a time and place for their use.

I would never compare APL to COBOL, although in my career I have seen
APL used to shorten the development cycle from 2-3 months to just 2 weeks.
You have to be able to speak "greek" :-) and think "matrix".

I would never compare PROLOG to BASIC, the first is a declarative
language and the latter a procedural one. Again thinking style is different.

We could not say that "Relational Databases" are better than "Hierarchical
databases" -- IMS served it's purpose very well when "System R" was
still under development in California.

Object Oriented programming has now been overshadowed by other
paradigms and this only confirms that old adage "the only constant in the
universe is change".

Cheers! (...please be gentle and don't flame me!)
--
Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~