Steve Sloan II wrote:

> Nope, Gateway is the first book in the series. I think
> there may be one or two short stories in _The Gateway Trip_
> that were *set* before Gateway, but they were written later.

On second thought, George is right. There was a story set in
the same universe that was written earlier, set on Venus.
Reading it isn't really necessary before reading Gateway,
though, since I only found out about it years after I'd read
the Heechee series. In fact, that makes it a lot like the
Asimov story "Mother Earth", which introduced the Spacer
worlds, and showed the beginning of the rivalry between
Earth and the Spacers, but was not necessary to read and
enjoy the Elijah Baley robot mysteries.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com