I also don't like Stephen "got my thesaurus right beside me" Donaldson.  I'm
fairly well educated, but when I read for pleasure, I don't want to have to
have a thesaurus right there.  About three pages into the first book, I was
reminded of Margaret Meade in her "Growing Up in New Guinea" saying that
young boys would micturate into the water.  For goodness sakes, if you can't
bring yourself to say 'piss', at least say urinate.  I know scholarly works
must show an extensive vocabulary, but SF and/or Fantasy novels don't.

George A

Isn't this the same for Gene Wolfe? But he does it to show language evolving and the hardly used words become common?

Kevin T. - VRWC
Long time since I read The Torturer