Thanks, Dan.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 12:19:09PM -0500, Dan Minette wrote:

> From what I've seen from many sources, after the war was won by
> Israel, the Arab countries urged the Arabs in Israel to leave so that
> they may destroy Israel with impunity.  Most left, but some stayed.
> The ones that stayed and their descendants are now about 20% of the
> population, IIRC.

So, would it be correct to say there was a mass exodus of Palestinians
after (and possibly during) the 1948 war, due mostly to fear and
uncertainty about whether their homes would be attacked (by either Arabs
or Israel)?

If that is a fair assessment, then I have another question. Were any
(or most) of the refugees able/permitted to return to their homes a
year or so later, when their fear and uncertainty had subsided? If they
were not permitted, who stopped them? If they were permitted, then why
didn't they soon return when they saw that their homes in Israel seemed
moderately safe and attractive compared to the refugee camps?

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/