--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:06:24AM -0500, Steve
> Sloan II wrote:
>
> I was wondering if you could give a capsule summary
> of that transfer.
> I don't know much about it, but I have wondered how
> it occurred. Most
> importantly I'd like to know exactly when, how, and
> by whom were
> individual Palestinians evicted from their homes and
> their land. If you
> have a good reference on the web, that would be
> helpful, too.
>
> Did it happen before the 1948 war? Did Britain go in
> an kick
> Palestinians out of their homes?
>
> Did it occur during the first Middle-East War? If
> so, how did the
> Israelis have the resources to go house to house to
> evict the
> Palestinians while fighting off virtually all the
> other Middle-Eastern
> countries? Or was it more of a scorched earth sort
> of thing, the
> Palestinians fleeing because their land and homes
> were in the middle of
> a war zone?

Well, I'm not Steve, but you're getting into what
might be the single most contentious issue in all of
historical research right now.  I think one of Leon
Uris's novels actually does a really good job of
telling the story - unfortunately I can't remember
which one.

My best guesstimate of the slowly evolving historical
consensus based on the revisionist work of the new
generation of Israeli historians, who tend to be
fairly critical of the earlier, very pro-Zionist
interpretations, goes something like this:

The Jews of the Middle East were a very large (some
say majority) of the population of the area, despite
the fact that their emigration to the region was
extremely tightly restricted by the British, who did
not similarly restrict Arab emigration.  David
Ben-Gurion was the most prominent leader (among many,
including Begin, who was considerably more radical) of
the Jewish forces opposing British rule of what was
then called Palestine.  In 1948 as British control
over the area was steadily weakening (due to British
weakness following the Second World War, among other
things) Ben-Gurion and his fellows declared
independence and the foundation of the state of
Israel.  The British basically chose not to get in the
way (any longer).  The surrounding states immediately
declared war on Israel and invaded, calling on all
Arabs in the region to leave until they could be
repatriated behind the victorious Arab armies.

The hot question is, of course, how many left
voluntarily and how many left out of fear of Jewish
attacks.  Recent Israeli scholarship argues that the
Irgun (Ben-Gurion's group, IIRC) has a pretty good
record with regards to the Arab residents, while some
of the more radical groups definitely did not.  There
was at least one massacre of innocent Arab residents
in a village, and this certainly contributed to a
general climate of fear among the Arab residents.  On
the whole, however, it does seem that most left
voluntarily.  At no point did Jewish forces engage in
an ethnic cleansing campaign of forcing people out of
their homes.

Israeli sources have traditionally (until the past 10
years or so) argued that all the Palestinians left
voluntarily, Arab ones that they were all forced out
(conveniently ignoring the Arab governments urgings
that they leave).  Israel is a free society where
academic dissent is encouraged and the open discussion
of ideas is as easy as it is in the United States.
Every Arab country is an autocratic police state.  You
tell me which one you think has more credibility :-)

At any rate, the Arab governments invaded with armies
that were quite well equipped and trained by Western
forces.  They were met by a lightly armed force that
was largely made up of guerrilla who had fought the
British.  No one in the world had any doubt that the
outcome would be a swift and certain Arab victory.
Apparently no one told Ben-Gurion that, though.  In
what still ranks, to my mind, as one of the handful of
most extraordinary military feats in human history,
the Jewish forces successfully repulsed the Arab
attacks, eventually doubling the size of the state of
Israel, before a cease-fire was imposed by outside
forces.  Eliot Cohen's marvelous book _Supreme
Command_ has a history of Ben-Gurion's efforts before
the war to rebuild Irgun into a force capable of
defeating the inevitable Arab attack.  It was a
remarkable achievement - he essentially held a
several-month-long seminar on what Irgun would have to
be, figured it out, then rebuilt it.  Cohen believes
that Ben-Gurion ranks with Lincoln and Churchill as
among the greatest strategists in the history of
democratic states.  Steve Rosen (one of my profs at
Harvard) believes that Lincoln might well be the
finest strategist _ever_.  I agree with that
assessment - but Ben-Gurion isn't far behind and had,
if anything, a more difficult task.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]