--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the summary, Gautam. That was exactly the
> sort of thing I
> was looking for. I imagine it would have taken me
> weeks or more to
> obtain that information by my own research. And
> _Supreme Command_ sounds
> interesting, I'll add it to my "to read" list.

My pleasure.  I daresay I made at least a couple of
mistakes, though - it's been at least a couple of
years since I looked at the issue in detail.  I
imagine that someone here will correct me if I did.

_Supreme Command_ almost made me cry.  Largely because
when I was tossing around potential dissertation
topics, one of my two favorites was trying to draw
general principles on democratic leadership in wartime
based on Lincoln, Churchill, and Ben-Gurion.  Cohen
added in Clemenceau and wrote the book - coming to the
exact same conclusions that I think I would have.
Damn it.  I kept reading it and going "I could have
written that!"  It really is marvelous, though.

Be warned, it might improve your opinion of Bush :-)
The Iraq campaign might as well have used _Supreme
Command_ as a textbook on how civilians control
militaries.  Bush was seen reading it soon after it
came out, probably not by coincidence, and Cohen
himself is quite influential within the Administration.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"