--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But I would say almost the same thing about you when
> someone is critical
> of Bush or the U.S.
>
> Doug

But, Doug, if you read my posts with any degree of
attention, you'd be wrong.  I have variously
criticized Bush Administration policies on a fair
variety of fronts.  I haven't on Iraq because not only
do I think I couldn't do better, I can barely imagine
_anyone_ doing better.  As for the US - my record of
criticisms of domestic and foreign policy (fair ones)
stands with anyone.  I just look that way sometimes on
this list because, to be blunt, anything short of
hysterical anti-Americanism often looks like being a
far right-winger on this list.  Even more so because -
unlike a lot of people here - I don't get all turned
on and enthusiastic by self-flagellation.  It's not my
thing, so I don't post as much on those issues.  It
doesn't make me feel superior to go on and on about
the bad things my country did (or might not have
done).

I take comfort in the fact that politics on this list
are, to a large extent, politics inside the liberal
echo chamber.  Most of the politically vocal Americans
on this list are off the liberal deep end compared to
the American population as a whole.  That's not in the
least an exaggeration.  President Bush's unfavorables
in some polls run around 20%.  What do you think the
ratio is on this list?

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]