--- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yeah, but there have been Jews in that area since
> > before recorded history and they made up a very
> large
> > proportion of the population before the Israeli
> War of
> > Independence.
>
> You know, I do sympathize with this point of view,
> but by those
> standards, the United States belongs to Native
> Americans, doesn't it?

Well, which native Americans are you talking about?
The ones who were there when the first colonists came?
 The ones who were wiped out by the ones who were
there when the first colonists came?  The ones who
were wiped out by the ones who were wiped out by the
ones who were there when the first colonists came?

> (....or do you feel perhaps that because they lost
> the war(s), they lost
> their rights for the land?  I'm curious about your
> opinion.)

What happened to the Native Americans was one of the
great tragedies of human history.  Anyone who denies
that is a fool.  But it's also no different than any
number of Native American tribes did to other Native
American tribes either - and anyone who denies that is
so lost to political correctness that they're a lost
cause.  Take a look at how the Aztecs used to behave
some time.  The question of who has a "right" to the
land is so confused that at this point it's an
argument that's pretty much solely brought up by
people who want to excuse someone who is, _right now_,
as opposed to 300 years ago, doing or planning on
doing something barbarous to somebody.  Moral
standards have changed.  What happened _then_ was not
thought to be wrong by many people at all.  We know
better now.

> > And it is simply inconceivable that Americans, at
> > least, would decide that the solution to the
> problem
> > was genocide - while it is quite clear that the
> > Palestinian groups - the PLO very much included -
> wish
> > to finish what Hitler started.
> >

> I'm too lazy to make a case out of it, but there's
> definitely an
> argument to be made that this is precisely what was
> done to the Sioux,
> the Apaches, the Navaho.... Oh, the methods may be
> different, but the
> goal and end result will be the same.
>
> Jon

I don't think there is much of one, because you can
still find Sioux, Apaches, and Navajo all over the
place.  The colonists did a lot of very bad things.
They did _not_ set out to kill every Native American
in the Western Hemisphere - because if they had set
out to do so, they would have succeeded.  So even if
you pretend that moral standards in the seventeenth
century and those in the twenty first are somehow
equivalent, it's _still_ not the same thing.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"