At 11:06 AM 6/13/2003 -0500 Steve Sloan II wrote:
>For both issues... it's too late. I wish early American
>settlers hadn't done such horrible things to the native
>Americans, but it's too late to change that. The best we
>can do now is try to get the survivors integrated into
>American society and economy, without destroying their
>traditions -- something the Bureau of Indian Affairs has
>done a lousy job of so far.

Actually, the BIA has been negatively productive.... that is, if the BIA
had simply done *nothing*, Native Americans would be better off today that
they currently are.    It is really truly sad to consider just how bad the
BIA is as a federal agency, and how powerless we've seemed to correct it.

JDG