--- Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I suspect a major reason that US conservatives back
> Israel is that a major
> component of US conservatives is the so-called
> "Christian Right" who are
> generally fairly fundamentalist Protestants who take
> the Bible seriously
> (if not literally), and so believe that the Jews are
> God's chosen people
> and the Holy Land was promised to them, and see the
> creation of Israel as a
> fulfillment of prophecy and a sign of the end times.
>
> -- Ronn! :)

There are certainly some conservatives who back Israel
for that reason.  But it would be hard to argue that,
say, Bill Kristol, Paul Wolfowitz, and (at a much
lower level) myself are members of the Christian
right.  After all, the one thing we all have in common
is that we're not Christian.  From what I can tell, we
all support Israel because Israel's a democracy (and
that's important to us) surrounded by dictatorships
that want to destroy it and kill all of its citizens
dealing with terrorist groups that _also_ want to
destroy it and all of its citizens.  Given that
outline it's fair to ask how, other than pure
anti-Semitism (surely a good part of it) so many other
people _don't_.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]