--- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Which is approximately 50% of the world's population
> and the entire
> Jewish population of Israel. (Gautam may have known
> that, but I thought
> the 'irony' worth posting.) :(

I did, which is why I chose the number.

> > and most of them are conservatives?
>
> I don't agree with this.  I am a somewhat
> middle-of-the road
> conservative, and I haven't met a single New York
> liberal who thinks the
> jewish population in Israel should be wiped out or
> that the Palestinian
> terrorism isn't horrible.

Yeah, but I don't think there are many people in
Europe who think that the Jewish population in Israel
should be wiped out - although there _are_ many who
don't seem to have much of a problem with Palestinian
terrorism.  But the opinion poll statistics suggest -
quite strongly - that, if you're not Jewish the single
most accurate predictor of sympathy for Israel is
being a conservative.  Just compare The Nation's take
on Israel to National Review's and you tell me which
one you feel more comfortable with.

> In my opinion, you cannot judge all liberals or
> democrats by articles
> you read in the papers or hear on talk shows. Nor
> can you judge most
> Democrats' opinions by their leaders' agendas in
> much the same way most
> Republicans' opinions cannot be judged by every word
> that falls from our
> President's mouth.  You live here.  Do you think the
> New York Post
> speaks for every
> Republican?
>
> Jon

No, but according to every poll I've seen, Republicans
are much more sympathetic to Israel than Democrats
are.  There's an interesting question of why that is,
and a further one of how long it will be before that
fact makes American Jews vote Republican more often,
but that does seem to be the way the numbers work.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"