Gautam Mukunda wrote:
--- Jon Gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Which is approximately 50% of the world's population
and the entire
Jewish population of Israel. (Gautam may have known
that, but I thought
the 'irony' worth posting.) :(

I did, which is why I chose the number.

and most of them are conservatives?

I don't agree with this. I am a somewhat
middle-of-the road
conservative, and I haven't met a single New York
liberal who thinks the
jewish population in Israel should be wiped out or
that the Palestinian
terrorism isn't horrible.

Yeah, but I don't think there are many people in
Europe who think that the Jewish population in Israel
should be wiped out - although there _are_ many who
don't seem to have much of a problem with Palestinian
terrorism. But the opinion poll statistics suggest -
quite strongly - that, if you're not Jewish the single
most accurate predictor of sympathy for Israel is
being a conservative. Just compare The Nation's take
on Israel to National Review's and you tell me which
one you feel more comfortable with.

In my opinion, you cannot judge all liberals or
democrats by articles
you read in the papers or hear on talk shows. Nor
can you judge most
Democrats' opinions by their leaders' agendas in
much the same way most
Republicans' opinions cannot be judged by every word
that falls from our
President's mouth.  You live here.  Do you think the
New York Post
speaks for every
Republican?

Jon

No, but according to every poll I've seen, Republicans
are much more sympathetic to Israel than Democrats
are.  There's an interesting question of why that is,
and a further one of how long it will be before that
fact makes American Jews vote Republican more often,
but that does seem to be the way the numbers work.

Can you cite a reference on that? I know that there is a liberal contingent that is pro Palestinian (and a conservative one that is anti-Israel), but I think that Americans in general are very supportive of Israel.

See:

http://www.pollingreport.com/israel.htm

Doug