Jan Coffey wrote:
--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Isn't this just an example of _enlightened_ self interest? Certainly the guy could have saved his ass and gotten out right away, but as the result of a little risk taking, he has raised his stature in the community.

Do you really think that is what he was thinking at the time? Just becouse
that ~could have been~ his motivation doesn't mean that we can make any
argumenats based on that possiblity in support of "enlightened self intrest".

Our culture glorifies heroism, does it not? It's been ingrained upon us from the time we are small children that to sacrifice one's own short term self interest for the good of a larger group - especially helpless individuals - is a good thing and will generally be rewarded.

Doug