Dan Minette wrote:
> Right, and raping and pillaging is an example of exploitive behavior.  They
> are both part of human nature.  Saving lives is good, raping and pillaging
> is bad.
>
> Now, I can't prove that; its a matter of faith for me.
>
> > What do lies and myths have to do with it?
>
> Because the reason people cooperate is, typically, because they share
> principals.

        Yeah, I remember in High School, we all shared the same
awful Principal.  We cooperated to make his life Hell...  : )

> For example, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that
> all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with
> certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the
> pursuit of Happiness."
>
> People have sacrificed their lives for these principals.  It was not a
> matter of enlightened self interest.  They believed them to be true.
>
> Now, obviously, they cannot be proven empirically.  The question is, do you
> believe they are true, or not?

        Good point.  Such beliefs are not usually based in fact, but
are strongly held.  So in a sense, they are based on faith.  But
somehow it feels like a completely different KIND of faith than
the faith required to believe in a god.  Help!

                                        ---David