From: "Michael Harney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I know that this list was originally started as a list dedicated to
discussion of specific authors and their books, so I thought I would bring
up a topic that is closer to being actually on topic in the little time that
I have to compose email today (at least part of the reason that I haven't
replied to other threads).

One of the main reasons I joined the list was for the book discussions and to
find out what other were/are reading.

On the topic of _/_ by Greg Bear, I may start another thread later about
that book, but I wanted to ask, for those who have read more of Greg Bear's
books if _/_ represented a One of Greg Bear's better books, was on par with
most of his books, or were his other books superior? .......
If some people would care to recommend some other Greg Bear books, that would be appreciated.

The only Bear stuff I do not really care for is his short stories(only a couple that I recall liking.). And I have not read his Star Wars novel.

I read _slant_ out of order, but the series is only very loosely tied together. I would say it is above par, but I like almost all of Bear.

My favorites are _Darwin's Radio_, _Moving Mars_, and _Eon_. And read _The Forge of God_, the ending haunted me for months. (I would read _Eon_, _Eternity_ and _Legacy_ series in order.) Looking back at my list of read books I also flagged Songs of Earth and Power, which is a combined version of his two fantasy novels.

Jim