Bryon wrote:
For the Harry Potter books, I like the UK cover art better, at least judging
from Order Of The Phoenix.

Yeah, it's a lot better for *all* of them.

And I regret the dumbing down of the book
1 title in the US by changing "Philosopher's Stone" to "Sorceror's Stone".

There are some web sites out there that list all of the changes between the original British and US editions. For the most part it's a word here, a phrase there, typically 15 to 30 changes per book, things like "revising" changed to "studying." One book (_Prisoner of Azkaban_, I think) has one instance where a passage of three or four sentences was completely rewritten and the ideas from the sentences re-ordered. I'll see if I can find that link, if anyone is interested.

I much prefer reading the Harry Potter books in their original English :-) and any words a typical American might not understand are pretty easy to figure out from context. The suits at the American publishing company just think that all Americans are idiots. Rowling has said in interviews that she regrets agreeing to the changes, but from what I understand she is now contractually obligated through the entire series to allow the American publisher to make any changes they feel would make the books easier for an American to understand.

Reggie Bautista