Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> So your belief, David, is that Saddam Hussein, having
> expelled all inspectors from his country, decided
> "Yes!  Now is my opportunity to get rid of all of my
> chemical and biological weapons without telling
> anybody so that I can keep sanctions on my country."?

        What I believe?  That things are usually not all black or
white.  I believe that Hussein did have some remnants of a weapons
program that was against the Geneva Convention.  And I believe that
he was not eager to open his country up to thorough inspections.
        On the other hand, there don't seem to be large stockpiles
of WMDs, do there?  I'm not sure that Hussein believed that allowing
unfettered inspections WOULD save him.  (I'm not sure that I believe
it--for all I know the US would have seized on some other pretext
to attack.)  We also know that his judgment is not always sound,
and that his ego is large.  Given all this, it's not clear from his
actions that he did have actual WMDs.

                                        ---David

> Now that's pretty astonishing.

        (And please stop these little digs at the end.  If you'll
look back at my post, I managed to refrain.  I even called the
US President "Mr. Bush", which took great forbearance.)