>     Since society's role in assigning adoptions should entirely give
> consdieration to the needs and rights of the child - not to the desires of
> the adopters, I think that society should try and meet the reasonable
> expectations of the child whenever possible, since of course, there is no
> way of determining any contrary desire of the child.

If the needs of the child are everything, would you take a child away from
bad parents? How about loving, responsible atheist parents - would you take a
child away from them since they are not raising the child to be religious? How
about a very poor couple - would you take their child away and give it to a
wealthy, childless couple who could presumably do a better job or at least raise
the child in something other than abject poverty? All of those could be
construed to be logical extensions of any doctrine that the needs of the child are
paramount. Which this country says all the time and practices none of the time.

But in any case, this is a classic "straw man" argument and is entirely
irrelevant to the qustion of whether or not gays should be permitted to legally
marry! Not all heterosexual couples marry to have children (my older sister knew
her entire life she never wanted kids - and she and her husband have not had
any). Should we ban them from marrying? We don't require heterosexual couples
to declare anything about their intentions to procreate before they marry -
it's none of our business. And it shouldn't be.

This is a question of simple equity - of the equal protection of the laws. If
the government is going to be in the business of taking official notice of
certain private actions, it either should extend that notice to all similar
actions or to none.

As always, my response to people who don't want gay marriage is simple -
don't have one.

Tom Beck

www.prydonians.org
www.mercerjewishsingles.org

"I always knew I'd see the first man on the Moon. I never dreamed I'd see the
last." - Dr Jerry Pournelle