Having questioned one side in the debate, let me question the other side.
The discussion over the evidence for WMD that existed before Gulf War II
seems to naturally flow out of what happened.  Here's how I see what's
happening.

1) There was general acceptance that Hussein has chemical and biological
weapons when the inspectors left before the 1998 bombings by the US and GB.
There was also evidence that he had a program to develop  nuclear weapons
that was in a fairly early stage.

2) Top leadership in the US and GB gave the impression, leading up to the
war, that they had in hand intelligence that the WMD program was not just
leftovers of the earlier program that were not totally destroyed.  From
these 16 words, and others, I got the impression that they had weapons that
would test the US biological/chemical warfare defense.  I also got the
impression that the nuclear program was ongoing and making progress.

3) During and since the war various sources associated with the
intelligence community seemed to indicate that these viewpoint expressed by
the Administration was stronger than the intelligence actually supported.
The reality was that the intelligence was consistent with a broad range of
possibilities.  Professionals use cautious words under these circumstances,
for good reason.

4) Top leadership/management chose to ignore these cautions and use words
that
indicated certainty.  I've seen that happen in other cases in business.
Upper management in many companies put reports through a filter of what
they know to be true in their hearts.  They accept reports that fit this
understanding, and find flaws with those that don't.  Further, everyone in
the organization knows what is wanted, and it takes courage to issue a
contradictory report...especially if things are murky and top management
might be right.

 I got the general feeling that, even if they thought that their case was a
bit
overstated, they knew that the weapons found after the liberation of Iraq
would prove their point, so all that would get lost.

As an aside here, during the war there were other criticisms of the
Administrations viewpoints, both by retired professionals and by unnamed
sources from within the military stating that Rumsfeld did not use enough
heavy armor in the war.  I was concerned at the time, but now happily admit
that the heavy armor that was used was more than adequate for the task.
Even then, with the concerns, I leaned towards believing that the US forces
would do very well.  Indeed, at the time, I was unique in my house in
believing that the fall of Baghdad would take weeks, not months.

The proof was in the pudding.  With WMD, I expected the same.  When Gautam
stated that he was very confident that WMD  would be found in a few months,
I was too.

Now, its over 3 months since the end of the war, and the closest thing to a
smoking gun that has been reported is some centrifuges and plans that had
not been destroyed in '98.  The US has had control of the country for that
time, and has found next to nothing.  From the attitude and words of the
administration, I expected that they had a pretty good idea where things
were and that they knew the shell games the Iraqis were playing with the
inspectors.  Never would I have imagined that we would be left with little
more evidence than was produced by the inspectors last fall and winter
(they found plans too IIRC).

So, in this case, the proof is also in the pudding.  The administration
overruled their own intelligence, as I'm guessing did the GB administration
from the new coming from there, and overstated what was known.  I don't
actually think they lied because I think they believed what they said.

However, they were wrong.  When they overruled the military and attacked
with less armor then recommended, they were right, and they deserve credit.
When a political operative pressured the head of the CIA to go against his
own folks and accept the claim of African uranium, they deserve to take the
responsibility for that.

The reason this is important is that the negatives for going into Iraq are
long term.  We are going to be occupying Iraq for a long time.  I'm now
seeing timeframes close to five years for this.  Occupying and controlling
an Arab country for this length of time does has the potential for
tremendous risks.

So, given the close nature of the risk/reward tradeoff in the minds of many
people, the misrepresentation of the intelligence information was critical.
Containment vs. attack as the best option was balanced on a knife's edge.

I recently saw an interesting article arguing for three basis for going
into Iraq:

1) Human Rights
2) risk to the US from WMD
3) Transforming the Middle East

The author argued that the first reason has actually been strengthened
since Gulf War II.  The likelihood for the third reason is still uncertain.

The second reasons appears less valid as time goes on. The chances of
Hussein having a massive chemical/biological warfare system ready to deploy
that vanishes with nary a trace seems remote to me.  If we find little more
than we see now after, say, one year, the logical conclusion would be that
the extent of Hussein's system was significantly less than we thought.  If
the original range of estimates, with uncertainties,  were presented by the
administration, that would not be a major problem.  But, when they invoked
certainty in order to garner support for the war, it is important.

Dan M.

Dan M.