In a message dated 7/25/2003 8:54:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> > Eh, probably not.....  I have an almost reflexive need to point out the
> truth - and ultimately I consider this growing urban legend that the USSC
> somehow changed the outcome of the 2000 election to be most damaging to our
> country.

I wonder if the republicans in congress would have really elected bush if a recount of
the vote in florida showed that Gore had won by a few thousand votes. I think some
would have correctly viewed this act as an abrobation of their resonsibilities to
americans. I doubt that Bush could have governed effectively under these
circumstances. He would have gotten no cross over dem votes. He would have been viewed
by
Americans as illegtimate. It might have seriously damaged the republican party in the
future (I think it still may).