On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 03:26 am, Jon Gabriel wrote:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On
Behalf Of William T Goodall

The Linksys WET11 I use to connect the G3 server to the network never
crashes - but it doesn't do anything very complicated so it doesn't
have any excuses.

I loathe Linksys. I seriously hope that WET11 never breaks William. Our 5 month-old Linksys 4-port router broke a few weeks ago. Before that it required a restart every Monday morning like clockwork.

Called tech support to get an RMA number. Figured that I'd send it back
to the company and get a replacement because it was definitely broken.
No lights and it wasn't routing anything anywhere. AND it was still
under warranty. There should have been no problem. It all seemed so
simple when I started.

It seems Linksys has moved their toll-free tech support hotline. You
now get India. Yes, *India*. And no one in the department has ever
heard of a Mac, nor do they know how to diagnose a router when it's
hooked up to one. Five minutes of "Do Macs run Linux? We don't support
that". Tech Guy Supervisor actually suggested I find a Windows computer
to hook it up to so we could confirm it was broken.

Linksys were recently acquired by Cisco I believe. So there might be a change for the better. Or worse...

Pity about HP...

What about them?

They used to be a real computer company with their own RISC architecture (PA-RISC) who made Unix workstations for engineering that ran HP-UX. Now those and the AlphaStations they inherited from Compaq are legacy products they are phasing out to concentrate on becoming another clone box-shifter often confused with Packard-Bell :)

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A bad thing done for a good cause is still a bad thing. It's why so few people slap their political opponents. That, and because slapping looks so silly." - Randy Cohen.