At 06:49 PM 7/27/2003 -0400 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> QUESTION 1)  The British inform us that they have learned that Iraq has
>> recently tried to acquire significant quantities of intelligence in Africa.
>>
>> The Bush Administration naturally tries to verify this claim, but cannot
>> do so.   They tell the British that we can't verify their claim.   The
>> British respond that they cannot reveal their intelligence sources on this,
>> but they assure us that the intelligence is of the highest quality.
>>
>> At this point, do you;
>> a) Call the British liars since our intelligece services have such strong
>> reservations about it?
>> b) Call the British incompetent for giving us intelligence that our own
>> intelligence services has not verified, and indeed has strong doubts about?
>> c) Ignore the British intelligence as questionable?
>> d) Accept that the British intelligence services may have access to sources
>> our own do not, particularly in Africa, and that the British intelligence
>> services are generally considered among the best and most reliable in the
>> world, and BELIEVE the British intelligence report?
>>
>> Your choice.   What do you do?
>>
>> I look forward to your, Nick's, and Ritu's answers to  this question.
>>
>> YOU LEAVE OUT OF THE STATE OF THE UNION MESSAGE. YOU DO NOT USE IT TO
TRY TO CONVINCE AMERICANS THAT WE MUST GO TO WAR UNTIL YOU CAN AT LEAST
CONVINCE YOUR OWN INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY THAT THE STATEMENT IS TRUE

The State of the Union is irrelevant to this example.    "Leaving it out of
the State of the Union" is an action that is consistent with actions a, b,
c, and d above.

So, which is it, Bob?    Before you decide whether or not to include it in
the State of the Union, you have to make the more fundamental determination
of a, b, c, or d.

JDG - Tough Decisions, Maru - but he is the POTUS after all....