>On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:06:22PM -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:
>
>>> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > Do you feel more comfortable (or safe) never asking this question?
>>
>> What question?  There isn't a question mark in the above statement.

>Erik wrote
>I think he meant the question "why do they hate us" or something like
>that. His implication is that you haven't thought about it because it
>makes you uncomfortable. Sounds like he lives in the same world as
>David.

I originally dismissed this post, but it got under my skin enough to
part of our past discussions of "why we should seek to understand
others views".  Seems like self reflction got thrown out with the
proverbial bath water.  Self refection doesn't mean one must act
or "sell out", one doesn't necessarily follow the other.  The
discussion seems to have taken a turn that even considering why
others "hate" is un'merican in some way.  Without ongoing
self reflection how can a country progress?  Differences in
how we progress are the "next" level of discussion in my
mind- the issue of constantly monitoring the environment of
our "allies and foes" doesn't seem to be an option in my mind
if we are to interact in a global world.

Dee