On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 10:28:49PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> What question?  There isn't a question mark in the above statement.
>
> >Erik wrote
> >I think he meant the question "why do they hate us" or something like
> >that. His implication is that you haven't thought about it because it
> >makes you uncomfortable. Sounds like he lives in the same world as
> >David.

> Seems like self reflction got thrown out with the proverbial bath
> water.  Self refection doesn't mean one must act or "sell out", one
> doesn't necessarily follow the other.  The discussion seems to have
> taken a turn that even considering why others "hate" is un'merican in
> some way.

I didn't see that at all. I think all of the people quoted above have
thought about why terrorists might hate the US. Nevertheless, Gautam
was accused of having not thought about it. On the contrary, I think
Gautam has thought about it, but he obviously disagrees with the
conclusion above, that we should "act in such a way as to assuage their
anger, [then] they won't attack us any more". I also disagree with this
conclusion. While I haven't been impressed with US diplomacy recently, I
think it is absurd to conclude that terrorists would leave the US alone
if the US were less unilateral. A number of good reasons were already
mentioned for this in this thread, so I won't repeat them here.

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/