----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Coffey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous States

Not unnormalized.  New York showed a more significant drop in crime after
Texas adopted a concealed carry law than did Texas.  Indeed, before the law
was enacted, New York had a higher violent crime rate.  Now, Texas does.

I was able to find a decent site for comparing states.  Its at:

http://149.101.22.40/dataonline/Search/Crime/State/StateCrime.cfm

The official Bureau of Justice website seems to me to be a good source of
data on crime.

Lets look at the violent crime rate for New York and Texas from '95 onward.
It is
               N.Y.      Texas
1990    1,180.90   761.4
1991    1,163.90   840.1
1992    1,122.10   806.3
1993    1,073.50   762.1
1994       965.6     706.5
1995       841.9     663.9
1996       727        644.4
1997       688.6     602.5
1998       637.8     564.6
1999       588.8     560.3
2000       553.9     545.1
2001       516        572.8

IIRC, the concealed carry law was instituted somewhere around '95 to '96.
It seems clear to me that NY's crime rate fell much more than Texas's
during that time.

So, there really isn't any evidence that the concealed gun law cut the
crime rate.

Dan M.

Dan M.